Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Reflectors behind cast iron pipes?

Hi, I have a house with the old fashioned tall heaters..one pipe in at bottom. I am wondering if it is safe to put some kind of foil behind the heaters on the wall, to reflect heat back into the room instead of having it absorb into wall. REALLY new at this sort of thing. Don't know if there are existing products, or if I could just use alumium foil.

Thanks for any advice/sage words about these heaters. I love them (no clue what the official word for them is) and had them at my grandparents house when I was young. Great for drying out wet snowboots and mitts!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,165
    Do they have a vent thingy on the side opposite the pipe coming in at the bottom? About half way down or a little farther?

You can put reflectors behind them -- aluminium foil is just fine -- but honestly it won't do all that much. Won't hurt anything, either...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Canucker
  • Profbeaton
    Profbeaton Member Posts: 2
    I didn't see a vent...there is a knob at the bottom to let steam out. I really need to read up on this system.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,165

I didn't see a vent...there is a knob at the bottom to let steam out. I really need to read up on this system.

Indeed. That knob is certainly not to let steam out, whatever it is. If it's steam, may I humbly recommend getting a copy of "We Got Steam Heat", available from the shop on this web site?

Also, a picture or few of what you are dealing with would help.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England