Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

T-stat issue with 5th zone

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 635
This discussion was created from comments split from: Taco SR501-4 Switching Relay / Honeywell RA832A Switching Relay.

Comments

• JamieNoonan
    JamieNoonan Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have a similar issue,,,
    I have a 4 zone hot water boiler heating system. The t-stats are all connected to individual Honeywell Type RA832A switching relays which activate individual circulators, we added a 5th zone using a TACO SR501-4. It was installed using the typical wiring diagram however when the 5th zone calls for heat it also turns on the main circulator. [Boiler is Weil-McLain CG-6-SPDN Series 11 Natural Gas - cold start - never runs unless there is a call to from a thermostat]
    Thank you.
  • PolychromeUganda
    PolychromeUganda Member Posts: 14
    JamieNoonan - as a purely forum use comment, it’s better to put a new question in a new topic. In regards to the specific question, it sounds like the new relay bank may be reporting that there’s a call for heat as if it was the main zone thermostat. You don’t have a lot of detail about what’s going on there so it’s possible that’s not what’s happening. As a general comment it’s a little easier to add the N+1th zone using the same relay scheme the 1st N zones are using, all you have to do is copy what you see in the in the Nth zone. Since you already have something else your best strategy might be to figure out how you would have added a zone using a Honeywell relay, just write down what terminals 1 thru 6 would be wired to (or left unconnected) and then use the Taco diagram for replacing a Honeywell relay with their model to find out where those would be wired on the Taco relay bank and then you’ll know where you went wrong.
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    I've split this from the old thread and created a new discussion here.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    I think you are going to need to sketch out how all this is wired. I cannot follow it...
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,718
    @Zman @JamieNoonan @PolychromeUganda

Here is my take on the Fifth Dimension/Twilight Zone.
    Since the OP is absent, I could only guess that this might be what he is talking about.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    Zman