Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant floor heating - opinions of pre-built "panels" such as HydroShark

Options
gb99
gb99 Member Posts: 2
Hi everyone:

New member here. I've been reading and learning, and this is my first post. I laid down PEX in my new garage slab and will be adding PEX between the floor joists of a new addition family room. Garage has 3 loops of ~280' of PEX, and the family room (includes mudroom area) will have about 4 loops of ~300. I plan to go with an electric boiler (Electro Industries) as the heat source.

What is the consensus on pre-built modular panels like these (about $3400 for both panels)? Are the worksmanship and the components high quality? I will have a licensed plumber check everything over as I need to pass inspections. Thank you.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Was a proper heat loss calculation done? How about a design layout by a radiant pro? Those are the starting points for radiant, not just gathering components and piecing them together. That’s how Frankenstein was made and that’s the type of system that you’ll have if you don’t start with a proper design.

Those panels come in many varieties with no assurance that the one you may select would be right for your system.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Ironman
    Options

If you can’t answer “yes” to the questions above, I’d suggest that you contact a good radiant designer like @Steve Minnich on here.
    Bob Boan
  • Ironman
    Options

To put it in perspective: I had a customer contact me about a month ago who spent over 5 figures to get a pre-made panel with a cheap boiler. After he exasperated himself trying to do it, he called us. We basically had to do everything over and add several components. He ended up paying us almost as much as he had for the pre-made panel and boiler because no proper design work was done. 
    The way the panel was setup, some of the components would NOT have even functioned.
    Bob Boan