Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New smaller replacement Radiator

I remodeled my kitchen three years ago which necessitated relocating a radiator. It has not been hooked up for two winters and the kitchen is only slightly colder than the rest of the first floor only on the coldest days. (Small 1930's house and open floor plan.) It is time to hook up the radiator mainly for resale. I am thinking of purchasing a new smaller cast iron radiator which I have sized based on using the company's calculator. Should I be concerned about imbalance issues? Or any other issues? The pipe to the new radiator will be the same size as the former pipe and take off from the main at the same location.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    Is this steam? One pipe? If so, there shouldn't be a problem, although you may find you have to fiddle with the vent to get it right.

The only thing to watch is -- as always -- make sure that any pipe which is almost horizontal isn't -- it has to have enough pitch to drain.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • revstrat
    revstrat Member Posts: 3
    Yes, Steam, 1 pipe. Thank you for your response. So I should purchase an adjustable vent to fiddle with or.......