Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Navien combi install help!

BayViewAve
BayViewAve Member Posts: 5
edited November 2020 in Plumbing
Hello, having a combi boiler install. They been working for about 18 hrs and going on 3rd day. Looking for any feedback, good and bad. Also why not install the manifold with service ports? Does there need to be a kill switch for boilers in Massachusetts? Update there still here 30hrs 3rd day same company had 6 different so called plumbers from there company in looking around. 3 days still not done. Under 20' of plumbing. The kitchen and bather room are on first floor and rite next to unit. Im am still baffled that they are taking this long. I live in Winthrop ma and would like any help. I need someone that know what there doing. 

Comments

• JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    Are you saying someone is on their 3rd day installing what's in the pictures above? That sounds like they don't know what they're doing. You need to get someone else to take over.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    IronmanBayViewAve
  • Lard
    Lard Member Posts: 115
    Brand new install...... with... an air scoop??

there are far more effective air elimination devices (microbubble separators). 
    IronmanBayViewAve
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    Black pipe is cheaper than the premise manifold.  But we always use the manifold. It has 1-1/4” pipe which is good flow rates are over maybe 12gpm on the secondary.   

What’s the load type snd estimated heat loss?   What is it replacing.  

One challenge with the Navien combi
    is the internal pump is limited to around 10gpm.  So depending on temperatures required, it can limit output.  

Heres one I’m working on now.   It has the Navien primary manifold.   It includes a location for the relief valve which is nice.  My 7th Navien  combi  I’ve worked on and 2nd my boss let me loose solo on.   Waiting on a tee and bronze flanges without valves from supplyhouse.com to finish.  Gonna be tight with the pumps.  Should have mounted it 9” to the right in hindsight.  Did my math wrong when I added up lengths of the pump and primary manifold.    

we don’t use air separators. Probably should but haven’t had any issue without them.  Air vents on the radiant manifold and in the boiler seem to get the air out eventually.  Combo runs hot in DHW mode so should heat up the water to pull more air as well.  

BayViewAve
  • BayViewAve
    edited November 2020
    Good morning. Yup this is there 3rd day. Im not a plumber but work in the construction industry, side by side. Having a bad feeling about it, never mind the 5+ gallons of water all over the basement and trash. Happen to know why they wouldnt put in factory manifold with service ports? The manifold is here, but instead put 1 on without the ports?  took a picture of holding it up next to there black 1 he made. Also happen yo know a ball park time fame to install 1 of these 1 zone 1 floor house, 900sq. 
  • BayViewAve
    Black pipe is cheaper than the premise manifold.  But we always use the manifold. It has 1-1/4” pipe which is good flow rates are over maybe 12gpm on the secondary.   

What’s the load type snd estimated heat loss?   What is it replacing.  

One challenge with the Navien combi
    is the internal pump is limited to around 10gpm.  So depending on temperatures required, it can limit output.  

Heres one I’m working on now.   It has the Navien primary manifold.   It includes a location for the relief valve which is nice.  My 7th Navien  combi  I’ve worked on and 2nd my boss let me loose solo on.   Waiting on a tee and bronze flanges without valves from supplyhouse.com to finish.  Gonna be tight with the pumps.  Should have mounted it 9” to the right in hindsight.  Did my math wrong when I added up lengths of the pump and primary manifold.    

we don’t use air separators. Probably should but haven’t had any issue without them.  Air vents on the radiant manifold and in the boiler seem to get the air out eventually.  Combo runs hot in DHW mode so should heat up the water to pull more air as well.  

Looks very nice! Where from? This is a 900sq house 1 floor 1 bathroom. Had a 30+ year old oil burner that I never really ran. Happen to know how long it takes to install 1? Im no plumber but know its 1 zone and under 20 feet of piping. I had to even drill the holes for the vent. 
  • BayViewAve
    Lard said:
    Brand new install...... with... an air scoop??

there are far more effective air elimination devices (microbubble separators). 

Hello, Im thinking he doesnt know what hes doing. Dont even know what to do from here. No hot water and heat for a day. Why wouldn't you run pipe and ect then tie everything in. I appreciate the feedback!

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    What kind of radiators do you have? Standing cast iron, baseboards, or other?

if you have BBs, then a good micro bubble resorber  (like a SpiroVent, Caleffi or such) should be installed. If you have standing rads, the air scoop will be okay because any air not removed on the first pass will go to the top of the rads and require manual bleeding.

There’s not enough done yet to really comment more, but myself and one of my men would normally have a job like that done in less than two days.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • BayViewAve
    Ironman said:
    What kind of radiators do you have? Standing cast iron, baseboards, or other?

if you have BBs, then a good micro bubble resorber  (like a SpiroVent, Caleffi or such) should be installed. If you have standing rads, the air scoop will be okay because any air not removed on the first pass will go to the top of the rads and require manual bleeding.

There’s not enough done yet to really comment more, but myself and one of my men would normally have a job like that done in less than two days.
    Hello, I appreciate the feedback! Had 6 of there plumbers show up and so far still not done. 30+hrs to install? I will update with more pictures. 100% they dont know what there doing. Happen to live in the Boston area?