Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lighting a Coleman 25A floor furnace

Options
A neighbor asked me to light her furnace. I used to have floor furnaces 50 years ago so I figured I could help. It turned out to be much larger than mine (49,000 BTU)and lights differently. I'm not sure how. I crawled through the crawl space under the house while I had her hold the gas control over the blue dot (per instructions). I saw the underside of the pilot from the side, but couldn't get a good look because there's only a few inches of space under the furnace. I held a butane lighter as close as I could get, but nothing lit. I didn't hear a hiss or smell gas. Thinking about it later, it occurred to me that, perhaps, the pilot lights from the inside. There's a cap on top of a hole in the middle of the plenum. With a 2-foot long match I could reach an inside pilot light. I'd have to do it by feel because I can't see that far over.

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,854
    Options
    They do light from inside. When it was new, there was a 2ft long wire with a small coil at the end that was designed to hold a match. Sometimes if it is not long ago lost, it's in the cabinet somewhere near the lighting instructions attached to the appliance,

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

ArthurPeabodyGrallert
  • ArthurPeabody
    ArthurPeabody Member Posts: 32
    Options
    She still has it: it's in the furnace box. We didn't know what it was. Thanks.
    EdTheHeaterMan