Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lighting a Coleman 25A floor furnace

Options
A neighbor asked me to light her furnace. I used to have floor furnaces 50 years ago so I figured I could help. It turned out to be much larger than mine (49,000 BTU)and lights differently. I'm not sure how. I crawled through the crawl space under the house while I had her hold the gas control over the blue dot (per instructions). I saw the underside of the pilot from the side, but couldn't get a good look because there's only a few inches of space under the furnace. I held a butane lighter as close as I could get, but nothing lit. I didn't hear a hiss or smell gas. Thinking about it later, it occurred to me that, perhaps, the pilot lights from the inside. There's a cap on top of a hole in the middle of the plenum. With a 2-foot long match I could reach an inside pilot light. I'd have to do it by feel because I can't see that far over.

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,844
    Options
    They do light from inside. When it was new, there was a 2ft long wire with a small coil at the end that was designed to hold a match. Sometimes if it is not long ago lost, it's in the cabinet somewhere near the lighting instructions attached to the appliance,

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    ArthurPeabodyGrallert
  • ArthurPeabody
    ArthurPeabody Member Posts: 32
    Options
    She still has it: it's in the furnace box. We didn't know what it was. Thanks.
    EdTheHeaterMan