Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot Dawg HD45 garage install z-flex question

Hey all new to the forums. 

My cousin (Atco gasfitter) and I this past weekend put a hot dawg hd45 in our garage. Long story short everything's installed and operating good my only real question is the following:

Due to how we had to run the venting to come out under the eaves on the exterior wall, we have a pipe connection from a 45* to a 3 foot straight protruding into the wall thimble. Also when the heaters running and how the 45 is angled it makes contact with the top of the thimble hole cutout. When the heater is operating the heat transfers from the vent to the thimble and it gets fairly hot.

Is this all good to leave like this or will I have to figure out how to tweak things?

Thanks for any replies. 

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    Can that vent under an eve? Doesn't it need to maintain clearance from combustibles and extend whatever code says above the roof for a conventional vent?
    GreatWhiteNorth780
  • mattmia2 said:
    Can that vent under an eve? Doesn't it need to maintain clearance from combustibles and extend whatever code says above the roof for a conventional vent?
    It's terminated past the eave so nothing above or below the termination point. 

This isn't terminated out the roof its terminated horizontally out the side wall through the thimble and the termination t is about a foot past the end of the eaves.
  • mattmia2 said:

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,160
    You need to support that pipe in such a way that it has -- and maintains clearance (probably one or two inches, check local codes) from all combustibles. It can be supported that way on a sheet metal flange in most places -- but it can't touch the opening at any point.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • You need to support that pipe in such a way that it has -- and maintains clearance (probably one or two inches, check local codes) from all combustibles. It can be supported that way on a sheet metal flange in most places -- but it can't touch the opening at any point.
    Combustibles clearances are all to code/manufacturers outlined specs. 

My biggest question was if the vent pipe is ok to rest against the wall thimble like it is. 

From your comment are you saying that that it can't touch the openings of the wall thimble? On either the inside or outside wall?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,160
    That would be my interpretation of the code, assuming that the thimble itself is in contact with combustibles. However... it's been 40 decades now since I've been in code enforcement, and codes change and code enforcement types vary in their interpretations. I'd check with your AHJ.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • That would be my interpretation of the code, assuming that the thimble itself is in contact with combustibles. However... it's been 40 decades now since I've been in code enforcement, and codes change and code enforcement types vary in their interpretations. I'd check with your AHJ.
    When the inspector was here he didn't really say anything about it. 

Thimble wise the cutout for the wall thimble is 5 inches and has stainless casing essentially going through the wall. The vent pipe itself is 3inch. The thimble itself does come into contact with the osb sheeting aswell as probably some insulation. 

Just trying to figure out if I need to get a new piece of zflex in order to have it clear the thimble edge.

I'll have to dig into it a bit more locally probably