Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

time to startup

Options
2 of our 3 boilers got re-tubed this summer. Its been hectic and stressful for the operates and engineer. They only got one of the 2 flushed out. Still waiting on the other to have its new burner wired up to the system. They go on shift on Sunday to start the warmup to be able to make steam on at least one boiler by Wednesday. I hope I have everything put back together on campus. Its been a busy repair summer. I hope the startup surprises are low. Im sure all the traps and valves will operate properly.
coming to you from warm and sunny ND
ethicalpaul

Comments

• dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    Options
    Steel boilers need special care.

Very important chemical treatment for the boilers.

Chemical and water analysis must be done on a weekly bases to assure that the steel is not being eaten away while the boiler is in use.

Attachment shows a chemical feeder hat you can build yourself.
    Te bottle should be a 4X24" nipple and the rest should be 1 1/4" pipe. The funnel should be a 4x1 1/4" coupling.

I have worked in boiler plants with steel boilers up to 300 horse power and they were 50 years old and none were ever fully re- tubed. The most tubes that were replaced at one time were up to 20 tubes done in the summer. In stock were 50 boiler tube plugs so a boiler did not have to be taken off line during the heating season.

A chemical treatment company like Nalco should be employed to monitor and treat the boilers until staff can be sent to school and learn how to maintain the boiler water.

Additionally, The hand holes at the base of the boiler should be removed and the the bottom of the boiler must be flushed out each time a boiler is fully drained of water.

Jake

• retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 904
    Options
    The company I worked for serviced and repaired boilers up to about 1000 HP. In 2005 or 2006 I was in the boiler room of the Butler hospital in Butler, pa and was able to visually inspect 1 of the 2 water tube boilers I believe were "Keelers" that was off line for a state inspection and insurance inspection. That boiler looked as though the tubes had recently been replaced but I was surprised to learn that the tubes were original with those 1947 or 1948 boilers. A lot of the condensate is returned but what is not has to be made up from the city water supply. Of course, as is the norm in most high pressure boiler plants, the returning condensate and all make up water is treated, and run through a deaerator to heat it and remove most of the oxygen. In this plant every shift of the 24 hour day, the stationary engineer took "water tests" to make sure that the water was as perfect as possible. So yes, boilers that are taken care of can last almost forever.

Now to the norm, most low pressure steel boilers never see any water treatment or care. They run until they quit, plug up, or fall apart. Some are so mistreated that even the "stay bolts" and the tubes need to be replaced. I have even seen cast iron boilers get plugged up from mistreatment. Good care costs money so they "roll the dice" and gamble on next years operation.

So read what @dopey27177's wrote test and treat the boiler water or get an outside company like Nalco to do it or at least follow their recommendations.