Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Insulating recessed radiators

Charm
Charm Member Posts: 1
Hi, 
I’m in the process of replacing my old recessed radiators(system froze prior to me buying the house). Had them repaired however each time the system is shut down a new leak spring up. I read about Novitherm heat reflectors on one of your other threads. Can they be used with in wall recessed radiators? Thank you
Charm

Comments

• Motorapido
    Motorapido Member Posts: 307
    I was surprised to see when I temporarily removed a recessed column radiator that there was not only no insulation behind it, but also the plaster behind it included big air gaps that allowed air from the brick cavity to freely flow. This is a 100 year old house. After much reading, I concluded that putting foil faced XPS foam board behind the radiator and on both sides inside the recess, and sealing the air gap would be the cure. However, I did not have enough clearance to fit the thinnest piece of foil faced foam board. If I had wedged it in, it would have been pushed flush with the back of the radiator, which could have choked the convective air flow that is essential for recessed radiators. The best I could do was attach reflectix bubble insulation. I cut the pieces carefully and sealed all the seams. This at least gives me an r value of 1.3 -- pretty lousy, but better than nothing -- but more importantly the silver face of the refletix provides a surface the bounces the radiant heat back outward into the room. Better than nothing. Probably the big improvement came from sealing up the air leaks in the recessed cavity.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    I had basically the same situation with mine in my tiny bathroom. I pulled it, insulated the hole, and installed a radiant floor :sweat_smile:
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el