Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

heat from oil boiler with water baseboard loop

Options
alano9999
alano9999 Member Posts: 17
Hi - I have an oil fired boiler and one pipe steam heat via various radiators. However attached to the same boiler is a hot water loop that supports baseboard heat in one room. There is also a Taco circulating pump for the water loop.
The boiler has various controls attached. What determines not sending steam trough a baseboard water loop?
Thanks

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,354
    Options
    Steam won't go through the baseboard loop provided the intake and return from the loop are below -- preferably some distance below -- the low water cutoff level of the boiler. It simply can't get there.

Is there a concern?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • alano9999
    Options
    Hi Jamie
    The boiler seems to have a number of controls on it, I was trying to understand if these controls concern the hot water loop. I do have a loud rattling sound when the loop is feeding water. Could this be a check valve?
  • alano9999
    Options
    Hi Jaime
    It does seem that the hot water loop is below the LWCO. However I notice at times that the circulating pump is running when the weather does not call for steam yet. What determines when this pump operates?
    Thanks
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,067
    Options
    Just so we know, how do you heat your domestic hot water for faucets, shower etc?
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    The circulating pump for your hot water loop should run when the thermostat for that loop calls for heat -- and not, of course, when it doesn't. There should be an "aquastat" -- possibly on the pipe from the boiler to the circulator, but also quite possibly in a tapping on the boiler -- which keeps the boiler water hot enough for the hot water loop to be effective. If, as @JUGHNE 's question implied, you also heat your domestic hot water with that boiler, it's likely that the same aquastat is being used for both functions.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    It occurs to me to add -- if that buffer tank is separated by a heat exchanger in it from the boilers, then the rest of the system needs a separate expansion tank, which could go on the outlet from the buffer tank.
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • alano9999
    Options
    Hi Jamie & Jughne
    To clarify, I have a separate standard hot water heater for faucets and showers..
    On the boiler, I have a Honeywell L4006A. It is set at 180. I think this is an Aquastat. Is this used for the hot water loop to ensure that the water is at least 180 degrees?
    The circulating pump is wired into a Honeywell R520 26R.
    Is this some sort of electrical relay?
    Thanks