Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HOW TO INSTALL A HOT WATER SYSTEM FROM A STEAM BOILER

Options
dopey27177
dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
GOING THROUGH MANY QUESTIONS AND FOUND PROBLEMS ON THIS SITE I DECIDED TO PROVIDE THIS ARTICLE WRITTEN BY DAN HOLOHAN AN ITEM THAT IN MY TIME WITH TOOLS I HAVE INSTALL 6 OF THESE JOBS WHERE I LEARNED THAT WHEN YOU EXCEED 3/4" PIPE PROBLEMS DO OCCUR.

IN MY YEARS IN THE TRADE I WISH I HAD HIS PIPING CONFIGURATION. WHAT IN STALLED WORKED WELL BUT I NEVER THOUGHT OF BLENDING THE RETURN WATER FROM THE STEAM SYSTEM WITH THE CONDENSATE FROM THE STEAM SIDE OF THE SYSTEM.

THE BOILER NEEDS AN AQUASTAT SET TO 180 F TO KEEP THE BOILER WATER TEMP HOT ENOUGH WHEN THE STEAM BOILER WAS NOT PRODUCING STEAM FOR HEATING.

READ THE WHOLE ARTICLE, ITS LIKE BEING IN A CLASS WITH DAN, I ATTENDED MANY OF CLASSES GRATIS BECAUSE I BOUGHT MATERIALS FROM HIS EMPLOYER.

SEE THE ATTACHED AS IT IS BEST EXPLANATION ON HOW A SYSTEM WORKED, WHY IT DID NOT LOOSE PRIME
AND IF YOU DO REAL GOOD PIPE WORK THE SYSTEM LOOKS LIKE A WORK OF ART.

ALL YOU AMAZING INSTALLERS NEED TO PUT THIS ONE IN YOUR LIBRARY AND THANK DAN FOR THIS ARTICLE

JAKE

Hap_Hazzardethicalpaul

Comments

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,702
    Options
    I agree, that's a great article! I've read it many times and it helped me to decide to run a radiant floor loop off of my future steam boiler.

Here is the link to it: https://heatinghelp.com/systems-help-center/how-to-run-a-hot-water-zone-off-a-steam-boiler/
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,230
    Options
    Jake, I know you're an extremely accomplished and skilled steam guy from years ago but have you retired and moved away from NYC? Your name comes up from time to time in my circle of NYC buildings. Also, your son worked for me for a short time. Is he still in the business?
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    edited September 2020
    Options
    @JohnNY

Sorry this communication is so late.

I retired 15 years ago and live in Boynton Beach Florida.
    I traveled to NYC on consulting Jobs for 5 years.
    Unfortunately Out of site caused out of mind disaster to the consulting business.

Sorry to say my son Neal was killed on the way to work at 5 am on Sept 4, 2004 by a drunk female teen that ran a stop light on Hylan Blvd.

So much for my life, its been good.

Hope all is well with you.

Jake
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,230
    Options
    @dopey27177

Jake, I had no idea. I'm so sorry to hear that about Neal. I guess he was living on Staten Island then. Absolutely tragic.
    I hope you're enjoying Florida and your retirement as best you can. Thanks for chiming in on the forum since you're one of the greats of the industry. My very best to you, always.

Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    ethicalpaulmattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,637
    Options
    A stripped down version of this article that Dan published in Old House Journal is how I got here about 15 years ago.