Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bread warmer

No idea where this is - saw it on Facebook and thought it was special enough to share...
appears to be in service, but way too much paint.

EdTheHeaterMan

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Probably came from this site originally...
    steve
    mattmia2
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393

3’ behind me in our dining room. Needs painted. Brown looked OK in the 80’s or 90’s I suppose.
    EdTheHeaterManTinman
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,570
    Is it a bread warmer? Or winter clothes drier/warmer?
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    Those date back to the late 1800s/early 1900s and were used in dining rooms to warm plates and food. Here's some literature on one from 1903: https://heatinghelp.com/heating-museum/national-radiator-company-1903/
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,570
    I think I would keep my socks, slippers and gloves in there. My radiators tend to collect dirt.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,718
    WOW!
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    We use the kitchen radiator for winter clothes drying. I also swim at my YMCA 3-4 morning a week and it drys.. and probably almost sanitizes my towels every day. Never actually use the food warmer yet. Would have worked better with a coal vapor/vacuum system where the radiator stayed party hot all day. It’s the very 1st radiator on the system too. The smart dead men ran the parallel flow one pipe header Clockwise starting in the N corner of the house and moving to the East, South and SW that would need the least heat with winter sunshine. Kitchen is the very last radiator on the system.

Just a note, that paint is regular premium latex semi-gloss. The brown was probably from a couple owners ago, so I’d guess 8-10 years old. No issues. Just painted three radiators with a bluish/silver/grey Sherwinn WIlliams semi-gloss enamel trim&door paint. I got one radiator partly hot two days ago and no issues.

My theory is that the 190F limit is conservative for paint, and/or that the actual surface temp doesn’t get over 190F. Plus i have a true vapor system so my steam temp is closer To 210 at 600’ above sea level.... than 215 FWIM. The paint is being cooled by the 70F room air.
  • ArthurHolo
    ArthurHolo Member Posts: 1

Those date back to the late 1800s/early 1900s and were used in dining rooms to warm plates and food. Here's some literature on one from 1903: https://heatinghelp.com/heating-museum/national-radiator-company-1903/

so it's a kind of the first type of microwave. I knew only about the "fridge" under the window but this one is also very interesting to see in a real life