Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Honeywell's Heat Generator

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 635
edited September 2020 in THE MAIN WALL

In this excerpt from his Classic Hydronics seminar, Dan Holohan teaches us about Mark Honeywell’s Heat Generator.

Watch the video here

luketheplumber

Comments

• Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    edited September 2020
    If you encounter one on the job, please be cautious because it is filled with pure mercury.

President
    HeatingHelp.com
    luketheplumber
  • luketheplumber
    luketheplumber Member Posts: 149
    I have pulled so many mercury bulbs from old thermostats that people have thrown in dumpsters. I still have them but they are stored safely an a double container with newspaper to cushion the fragile glass bulbs.
    I just earned my GED and am looking for a apprenticeship with one of these steam gurus on this site!
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    If you keep the tstat intact then most HVAC supply houses will take them for recycling.
    I did not know that as I also have removed the bulbs and my supply houses do not want bulbs only. So I too have a collection.
    Some areas have toxic waste collection points that might accept them. Best to get rid of them ASAP.
    luketheplumber
  • luketheplumber
    @JUGHNE Yeah I could dispose of them properly, but I think mercury is a cool thing to have. I of coarse store it safely and securely. I have showed it in online school it several classes and to several friends of mine. I will definitely keep it in the glass for now.
    Mercury is just and interesting metal to look at and show others and I am certainly aware of the dangers of it and handle it with extra care and safety.
    I just earned my GED and am looking for a apprenticeship with one of these steam gurus on this site!
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    If you do decide to take them for recycling, be very sure that your recycling facility can and will accept them. A number of facilities either can't, or won't.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    luketheplumber
  • luketheplumber
    @Jamie Hall I'm pretty sure that my local recycling center will take them if the time comes when I want to get rid of them.