Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

IBC Boiler fails

Options
DaringD
DaringD Member Posts: 4
edited August 2020 in Gas Heating
I am interested to hear other people's experiences with IBC BOILERS as a result of the dangerous issues that we have faced. Carbon Monoxide was pumped into our home over a period of nine months, after the new boiler was installed. Installer couldn't figure it out - exhaust lines extended so that there wasn't a re circulation of exhaust. Power supply was addressed (battery backup installed) and that wasn't the issue. The efficiency was tuned down (so much for high efficiency). That wasn't the issue. Finally the manufacturer admitted the problem was widespread - a faulty processor. Fire Department was called out TWICE to our home. Now its only a year later (two years after install) and the heat exchanger goes. IBC says not a warranty issue because our system - which had been purged prior to install, wasn't clean enough. Clearly this is not a good choice for a home, or as a replacement boiler. We don't trust it and are wondering if we bite the bullet and rip it out and install something else? A Lennox? Interested in other experiences.

Comments

• Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Which model? SL, DC or HC?

We've had pretty good luck with them. We had to replace the ignition module once, but not because of CO problems. I don't understand how a processor problem could lead to CO in the living space. Whatever CO is produced should go out the flue.

The HX problem is another problem. Do you have a cast iron radiator system? If so and without some kind of filter, iron oxide could have taken out the HX.

The reason I continue with IBC is their tech support which is very good and they have a local rep. that stocks all replacement parts.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    kcopp
  • DaringD
    Options
    SL 20-160. I don't understand how a processor problem results in CO problems either - but when it was replaced - all fixed. I think it was a problem with the low (20 BTU) settings that caused the system to "rumble" and somehow leak CO into the house. Its actually a known issue.

The previous boiler was cast iron. We did a purge prior to the install of this new boiler. When we contacted IBC about the warranty - they first suggested we had Poly B lines (we don't), and then when they did their investigation, simply told us our fluid must be the issue. So we have paid the price for the new HX (learning the lingo!!), and will now pay for another fluid flush. It would have been helpful if we knew how important it was for the system to be remain extremely clean. Likely not a good replacement option as it feels like we have installed a high tech sports car - expensive to purchase and expensive to maintain.

With so much cost and so little reliability in the two years we have owned the product, we are considering if it is worth it to rip it out and replace with a different product that might have fewer features but be the workhorse we would prefer.
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,002
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Were you dealing with the local rep. or the factory? Where are you located?

You should re-post in the Gas Heating forum or ask Erin (the administrator) to move you.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • DaringD
    Options
    I will ask Erin to move this thread! Thanks. We were dealing with the local rep in Canadian Prairies (Alberta) who said he was unable to assist. We hear it could be related to new polices as a result of Rheem buying out IBC. IBC has been sold twice in the past 2-3 years. Thanks Alan
    kcopp
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,160
    Options
    I haven't heard of this issue.  Are you sure your experience isn't due to an improper installation or lack of combustion analysis during commissioning?
    I've seen a lot of customers over the years regret the decision to replace a cast iron boiler with a mod con.  Most people find that reliability, ease of service durability are more important than efficiency. 
    CanuckerGroundUpkcopp
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,907
    Options
    While I'm not an IBC user myself, I can't help but feel like this is more of an installation issue than anything else. Whether not the correct boiler for the job, improper flush, improper water chemistry, improper piping, improper combustion tuning, or a combination of all of the above. What type of heat emitters are being used in the home and do you have a photo of the installation as well as the combustion analysis?
    DerheatmeisterRich_49
  • xmorganx
    xmorganx Member Posts: 23
    Options
    Honestly this sounds like an installation issue. We've installed a lot of IBC, and this has never come up. Where in Alberta do you live? Certain places with heavy prevailing winds require special accomodation re : exhaust
    Derheatmeister
  • JosephTonozzi
    JosephTonozzi Member Posts: 7
    Options
    I’ve installed about 12 IBC SL-G3 boilers personally they are one of the best wall hung condensing fire tube boilers on the market . And their customer and tech support is outstanding . There newest operating program is also a lot easier to understand . Only issue is down loading software updates not sure when there will be the ultimate . But when you put them online you can have the factory doing your updates . Also with their Moisture management drying is very nice . And there Stainless steel front cabinet is very sexy and dual side outlets are very nice for piping your heat side and indirect heating . All connections solid no backing required no stupid soft copper outlets sticking out waiting to get twisted when someone changes the pressure relief without a backing wrench would someone do that nah. And very quite too! Need I say anymore about this product . I have one in my shed that’s supposed to be for my house but my 22 year old Buderus cast Iron and me have been in a relationship so long we just can’t part ways .I’ve tried a lot in 47 years and I like this one . To bad more people don’t care for their heating equipment like they do their cars .
  • JosephTonozzi
    JosephTonozzi Member Posts: 7
    Options
    One more thing about the IBC if you do need to change a part the whole thing is very easy to work on !