Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old (circa 1960) Blower Unit Help Requested

Hi, I just accidentally broke the pin that holds the temperature control knob on our Remoreaire Room Conditioner, Model 10 15 0, Series 5 2 RSX, when I was replacing the cover. Could you please tell me how to obtain a replacement part and fix same?

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    I'm not sure you will be able to get parts for a 60 year old unit, but if you post some pictures maybe someone will recognize a modern replacement.
    mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,574
    edited August 2020
    Depending on what the control is, it is likely that it can be replaced with a universal replacement.

If you can find the schematic on the unit, a picture of that and the ratings plate would help a lot as well.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Is the steel shaft that the knob was on still sticking out?
  • evelynmarshall
    evelynmarshall Member Posts: 6
    It is the steel shaft that broke and part of it fell through the back
  • JUGHNE
    Is there some unit outside or elsewhere.... or is this simply a cold water coil you run water thru?

Could you post pictures of the hole the shaft came out of and maybe where the shaft connects inside?

What city/state are you located in??
  • evelynmarshall
    edited August 2020
    Here are two images, one of where the steel shaft is connected on a unit that is in working order and one of the unit that is broken. I also think that the means of securing the steel shaft to the heater broke when the steel shaft broke.
  • JUGHNE
    What makes the coil get cold?
    Is this in a house or apartment/condo?
    And where is this located?
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,574
    Google says that these are ptac like fan coils made by american standard.

Is there a shaft coupler behind that plate that came loose?

You could definitely replace that control with a modern solid state motor speed control.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    According to the schematic that's a rheostat that controls the motor speed. It's hard to tell if the shaft connected to the rheostat or if it was an integral part of it. If that's the case (a part of it) then it's broken & possibly hanging apart inside the enclosure—a dangerous condition where live electric wires may short out or cause a shock. If you can turn off the electricity to that unit, please do it.

A modern motor speed control rated at 120 volts 2+ amps may work for you (depending on the style of motor), although getting it to fit may be challenging.

• evelynmarshall
    Thank you for all of this information. I will review it and update after.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Flow chart... Does it still work, Yes... Don't fix it. No... Bypass the speed controller .... Does it work now...Yes, Done. No... get a new one.