Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler recommendation

Jellis
Jellis Member Posts: 228
I am replacing a boiler for a good friend of mine. He currently has a New Yorker with a power vent out the side wall and is thinking of switching to propane, already has propane on site with a cook stove and Rinnai heat for the guest house.

I believe I will offer the Navien NHB unless one of you guys talk me out of it. The company I worked for as a tech installed HTP wall hung condensing LP boilers and they did not earn my recommendation with the amount of failures we encountered with them.
I will likely offer the Bosch Greenstar as an alternative option to the Navien.

The Navien warranty is great and I've heard their customer service is top notch.

Thoughts on the Navien vs Bosh? Experiences?

Comments

• fenkel
    fenkel Member Posts: 162
    We use alot of bosch greenstar floor standing models. We like them!! Tech support has been very good.  Warranty is good, even better for nonresidential housing up to 4units... it does use an aluminum  heat exchanger, but we recommend using deminerized water and boiler conditioner used per the manufacturers recommendation..
    We provide the boiler cleaning kit with our installs.. the kit is good for 5 cleanings or about 15 years..
    One brawback is: the bosch is 5:1
    And if you read up on them,  they can be as low as 3.1: 1 for modulations..
    Not great for small zones.. so,we tend to use buffer tanks with small zones.
    The last ones we installed needed very little adjustment to gas pressure.
    I like the floor standing units because they have a low loss header built in to the unit.. no need for p/s  plumbing... bosch tends to be a little more upfront cost for us.  But warranty is the trade off for us. Parts take a bit longer to get.  But if you follow the install manual, these work very well..
    We've install the navien line as well..
    They are nice units as well. Cabinet is a little small  and tends be a challenge with big hands.. parts are quick to show up.. again follow the manual and they work fine.. i do like the boost function of the navien, thats if a zone runs longer than 30 minutes,  the boiler will boost the temp 9 degrees to help heat the zone.. not sure you'd need that if you did a proper heatloss calculation. 

Jellisbitcohen
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    What model HTP did you have issues with?

We've installed a ton of UFTs with very few problems.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    mattmia2
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    What type of radiation will be used for heating , other then radiators or radiant a condencing boiler is not the right choice ..They are designed for low temperature heating ...The efficiency tanks running hi temperature for baseboard and they are far more complicated with a higher cost with wait for parts to repair ..
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all