Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lochinvar Noble LPG boiler - condensate neutralizer concern?

Options
HelpInAK
HelpInAK Member Posts: 41
edited August 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
Hi all. I have a Lochinvar Noble NKC199. New construction house built at the end of 2018. I’ve noticed the condensation neutralizer capsule has slowly gotten dirtier (browner) as time has gone on, but has gotten significantly grimier over the last couple months. The capsule was full of a pellet-like substance and a liquid. Over the last couple months most of that liquid is gone, and what little left is a deep brown. Picture attached. Is this something that is normally cleaned during annual servicing? Is this something to be concerned about?

In case anyone was wondering if we actually got an annual service accomplished - the short answer is...partially, but mostly no. It’s a long story, but we were ultimately told that it “shouldn’t” need additional servicing this year. I’m not sure I believe the technician but I’d like to avoid a $ service charge this year if I can. Thank you.

Comments

• HelpInAK
    HelpInAK Member Posts: 41
    Options
    Anyone know anything about this?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Until the pellets are about gone, or a brown sludge, you should be fine. I suppose you could open it up and flush the gunk out.

The liquid is only present if the boiler is condensing, so if it is just running high temperature for DHW production, you may not see much liquid.
    Assuming there is no crack causing the liquid to leak.

Download the installation manual to be sure it is installed properly.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    HelpInAK
  • PerryHolzman
    PerryHolzman Member Posts: 234
    Options
    Just buy a new bag of them and change them...

https://www.suppliesdepot.com/buy/product/JJM-NBT-23R-ACID-CONDENSATE-NEUTRALIZER-REFILL-PELLETS/1121078?ID=/Water-Heaters-Parts/Condensate-Neutralizers/dept-29O

Note that I have the old Viessmann neutrilizer, which Viessmann no longer supplies the pellets for. So I ordered the JJM ones...

Perry
    HelpInAK
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    The neutralizer outlet on the left should be at the top, not the bottom. With the way you have it now, the condensate will run straight through, only reacting with the small amount of pellets at the bottom. The water may not even come out neutralized properly. 

With the outlet at the top, the neutralizer will amass condensate and allow all the pellets to be in contact. 

Should be an easy fix. 
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    HelpInAK
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Yes, I would remove and rinse and rotate 180 degrees for re-install.

Look in the install/service book. There may be a trap inside that boiler that is fairly easy to open and clean. There may be a shut down float inside the trap.
    HelpInAK
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    Depends on which direction you are flowing?

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    HelpInAK