Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Whatever happened to the Honeywell MZV series zone valves?

Geosman
Geosman Member Posts: 25
Odd that as of March 2020 Honeywell stopped production of the MZV series zone valves, replacement cartridges and power heads. Does anyone out there know the reason or if there may be an alternate source?

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    e-bay
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    edited July 2020
    I believe the MVZ valves were made by a company called SPARCO some 20+ years ago. Honeywell purchased that company and continued to produce many of their products under the Honeywell Brand. If you want to keep the valves operating, you may need to look on auction sites like eBay or Craigslist
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • hot_rod
    Wirsbo, Uponor also used them for awhile.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Geosman
    As did Burnham and likely a number of others. It's just odd that the supply simply dried up with no trace of replacement parts. I think I found the last from Supply House as well as from Amazon. Some on e-bay are also sold out one was asking 4X normal trade price.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Aren't the valves compatible with other powerheads?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    edited August 2020
    @Geosman, does anyone know if this actuator will work? There are several adaptors included
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/Uponor-A3023522-Product-Overview.pdf
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • hot_rod
    I know the thread would work, it would depend on the pin stroke if a thermo-electric head would work. This is a Sparco on a Caleffi thermo-electric zone valve body.

If the valve is old and sticky you could blow up the actuator. That was common with the HW, Sparco and Wirsbo when crappy water caused the valve pin to seize up.

Might be worth replacing the entire valve?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,976
    edited August 2020
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • ji2k
    ji2k Member Posts: 1
    Geosman, did you figure out a replacement solution for your zone valve? Does the Upanor actuator work as a replacement?
    John
  • Geosman
    Actuator is not the problem. It’s the cartridge that was leaking around the pin. It’s holding without leaking with my needle nose vicegrips.  It’s for a sunroom zone so it now gets circulation with other zones. The only solution is an identical cartridge. Those on the 1” valves do not fit...I tried that already using the last 1” valves in Supply House inventory. Now have a 3/4 valve I found at a supply in Ft Wayne that’s now waiting for my next trip to replace it.