Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wattz this ?

weedhopper
weedhopper Member Posts: 59
Hey guys and gals,
I am replacing 50 yr old shutoff valves for two baths, kitchen, etc.
This ‘elbow’ is hot water to the lower bath. Do I need it or can I just cut it away and put an elbow in it’s place?
Looks like a drain at the bottom?

Thanks as always!

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    possibly just to drain and winterize the piping? Doesn't look like the plug has been removed recently, or ever :)
    An ell would work.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Most likely as @hot_rod says, a drain if you ever needed one. You might look around before you just put in an ell and see if there is some other way to drain that line, though. I'm sort of weird that way, but I like to be able to drain all the piping if I need to, without resorting to a Sawzall...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • weedhopper
    weedhopper Member Posts: 59
    Thanks and ya, I doubt that drain has ever been opened. 65 yr old house and we have been here 32 yrs.

I can find a spot for both hot water and cold water drains. Never needed them and the chances of freezing are near, I said near, close to zero with a generator.

It’s really tight in there unlike the hose bib, kitchen, upper bath and washer shutoffs so I will think it out.
    Thanks !