Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermostat Location

Options
I live in a split ranch (3 levels.) An oil furnace with 2 heating zones was installed when the house was built some 50 years ago. One thermostat is located on the lowest floor supplying heat to that level and the second floor living room, the other in an upper floor bedroom in the center of the hallway maintaining the kitchen-dining area and remaining bedrooms. The coldest bedroom is over the garage but is not where the thermostat is located. What determines where a contractor locates a thermostat?
Interpret how I say it, not how you think it.

Comments

• unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    You normally want the Tstat near a return air inlet.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    I am guessing that you have a hot water boiler with baseboard heat. If so, an interior wall, near the middle of the zone so that you get a good average read of the living space. If you have a 2 zone furnace (not very common in the '50s) you would want it on an interior wall near the air return inlet.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,835
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I like my thermostats on the wall just about eye level... I know... that is different for many people, so I need to make the ultimate sacrifice and place them slightly below eye level. That makes it just above eye level for my adult niece who is slightly shorter than the average human being.

I will soon be confined to a wheelchair so I guess my perspective on thermostat location will change when that happens.

Thermostat location. Is this what you mean?

The other answer that came to mind... It is where THEY put the wires
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics