Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler Fill Meter

Options
Jakek
Jakek Member Posts: 55
Is there a meter people recommend for monitoring the amount of water added to a boiler for people who are manually feeding? (Apart from adding an auto-feeder with a built-in meter.)

Comments

• EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,295
    Options
    We use analog meters with counters. Check out flows.com
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
    ratio
  • ted_p
    ted_p Member Posts: 65
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I second @EzzyT's recommendation of flows.com. Good prices and very nice folks to deal with. I recently bought one of these from them to keep track of makeup water for $69.

Irrigation and Non-Potable 3/4" COLD Water Meter

This type reads like an old-fashioned electric meter: The last digit on the "odometer" is hundreds of gallons, and the pointers on the little dials indicate the remaining digits. So the meter in the picture reads 227.71 Gallons.

That white nylon thing with the wire is a reed switch to operate a remote counter. If you're not going to use a remote counter, you can loosen that Phillips-head screw and remove it.

They also have a similar model with a plastic housing for $55.

https://www.flows.com/economy-plastic-water-meter-wm-pc-series/

Ted

STEVEusaPA
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,626
    Options
    @ted_p, I was just looking at that meter, but they don't have an IOM for it on the website yet. Did it come with any paperworks? I'm wondering if can be mounted vertically. (The website says no, but I'd like to verify that.)
  • ted_p
    ted_p Member Posts: 65
    edited July 2020
    Options
    ratio said:

@ted_p, I was just looking at that meter, but they don't have an IOM for it on the website yet. Did it come with any paperworks? I'm wondering if can be mounted vertically. (The website says no, but I'd like to verify that.)

I was told to use the docs for the WM-NLC (attached), which is the same meter in lead-free brass.

The WM-C is a multi-jet meter, so I'm pretty sure it does have to be mounted horizontal face-up to read correctly. If you need vertical mounting, they do have the Neptune T-10, for $105, which is a great price for a positive-displacement water meter...
    ratio