Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buderus G215 Oil Boiler

MaryCharles
MaryCharles Member Posts: 7
Hi All,
I am all set for having a Buderus G215 oil boiler installed and found out that my chimney repair cost might be more than I want to spend as I have to have another chimney repaired for a wood stove installation as well. Can the Buderus be vented out a side wall? Are there problems with that as far as exhaust smell and soot? We are located in mid-Vermont. I have talked to my HVAC person but would like any thoughts from non interested parties.
Thank you

Comments

• Jellis
    Jellis Member Posts: 228
    Hello @MaryCharles
    You can set up your buderus to vent through a side wall with either a Power vent or a direct vent.

The Power vent is a separate unit that is is installed in your boilers flue pipe. It uses a motorized fan to expel the flue gas away from the structure.

Pros: eliminates need for chimney, Powered fan expels the gas away from the house better than with direct vent.

Cons: Adds more components to your heating system that can fail and needs to be cleaned and serviced.

Direct vent uses the intake air to cool the exhaust pipe allowing it to pass through a side wall.

Pros: no chimney needed. This setup generally makes the burner run more quietly.

Cons: Greatest risk for staining on the structure, the exhaust gas is not expelled away from the structure as well as with a power vent.

In my opinion, a chimney is worth the extra money. This is the only way to get the flu gas away from your home without it possibly impacting your living area, and they require the least maintenance
    MaryCharles
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    @Jellis Nailed it!
    The chimney liner is best. Maybe you can get the woodstove chimney man to BOGO 1/2 off
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    The G215 is a large model line. There's another digit that follows which designates the size. Do you know that?

Did the contractor do a manual J heat loss calculation and radiation survey? If not, what is he basing the size upon?

How old is your house and how many square feet?

The G115 line would probably be sufficient for 95% of the houses in the US. Over-sizing is a cardinal sin in boiler land - yet most contractors do it.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    HVACNUTGrallert
  • MaryCharles
    Thanks for the comments. @Jellis it is good to know we have options if the chimney doesn't work out. @Ironman We are getting an independent heat loss calculation. I want to make sure the contractor isnt oversizing our system. Thanks for mentioning that. I will look at the G115. The house was built in 1850. 2200sf.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    Even if your house is not well-insulated and leaky, it's doubtful that you need more than 80k btus, probably less.

A G215 is way oversized. A G115/3 or 4 should be all you need.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    HVACNUTMaryCharlesGrallert
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    IMO stay away from power venting.
    Buderus has a nice OEM setup for direct vent with the G115 using a BF Riello burner.
    Best option is a safe chimney.
    MaryCharlesGrallertIronman
  • MaryCharles
    Everyone is very helpful. I really appreciate the advice.