Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old hvac fix or replace ?

Options
I have a Trane unit build 2002. It’s been working fine. I was cleaning the air handler and coil and noticed that the coil is very rusty and might be leaking slightly Based on a blue streak line that I saw, could be corrosion too. A new coil goes for around 1000k shipped. Which I can install my self but would need someone to drain and refill system.
The unit uses r22 which based on what I read production was band 2020. So can we fill this units with something Else?
Is it worth replacing coil ?
What if compressor goes bad and then need to drain again?
I can replace a lot of parts as they go bad so I sabe on labor. Only problem with this system is the draining of Freon. But if R22 starts becoming low in supply then it would be worth for me to fix this unit unless I’m able to use something else other than r22.

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,673
    Options
    Based on the info you gave I have to respectfully disagree, you cannot install a new coil your self.

The system is 18 years old. Have it properly replaced.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    I wouldn't jump to conclusions with a little rust or blue streak line. With the system running for 20 min or so check the supply and return temps at the ahu, drill a couple of holes in the ductwork. You should be around 20deg differential between return and supply.

If it's working good you might get another 5-10 years out of it.

If your only getting 15 degrees diff or less have someone come in and check the charge.

We are not allowed to talk price here on this forum but you coil price seems out of wack to me
  • diego168
    diego168 Member Posts: 70
    Options
    @EBEBRATT-Ed thank you. I have no complain with the performance it works good I was just cleaning it and noticed the rust. So I started doing some research in case the coil would actually go bad. The coil is COL16272. But regardless I was wondering what people recommend since this unit uses r22.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    You can still get R-22 don't know what the price is. There are several replacements. R407C requires changing the compressor oil, there are other refrigerants that will drop in.

At 18 years old if you replace the coil I would consider doing that if need be if the rest of the system is in good shape.

Also to me it's not just age its the current condition of the equipment and how hard it runs. If you live in Atlanta and it's had a lot of run time that's a consideration. In Boston it has run far fewer hours that would influence me if the decision was mine. Units in the north can last 30 years or longer if decently maintained

diego168
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    Your average life for a A/C system is 20 years. I personally would not spend over $1000.00 to repair a unit that old. As @EBEBRATT-Ed said you could get 5 - 10 more years out of it if you leave it alone. But almost every customer I had who replaced a system that old or older said they wished they had replaced it sooner before they had spent money on the last repair. Reasons are more efficient, quieter , better cooling ect.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    It's not just "draining and refilling" the refrigerant that's involved IF there's a leak. There's replacement of the drier, welding, purging and leak testing, proper evacuation to at least 500 microns, properly recharging the system, checking pressures superheat and sub-cooling, system operation, etc. The only thing that leaves for you to do is remove the coil from the cabinet and slid the new one in.

That being said, a blue streak does not mean there's a leak. As others have said, if it's cooling okay, leave it alone. If it does go out, look at replacement.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • diego168
    diego168 Member Posts: 70
    Options
    Thanks everyone for their input. I’m just going to leave it alone.