Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Connecting new pilot tubing

I’m trying to connect a new pilot tubing to a new assembly I have. I already got one end of the tubing connected to the pilot. I can’t figure out how to connect the other end with out the tube sliding to connect to control unit.
steamhouse

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    The orifice should be installed up into pilot itself. The nut and ferrule combination should be slipped onto the end of the 1/4" tubing and placed into the opening for the pilot on the gas valve, make sure it is all the way in and then tighten it so that the ferrell on the tubing nut breaks away making a sure connection. Be sure and check for leaks when gas is applied using soapy water.
    sldamiano
  • sldamiano
    sldamiano Member Posts: 34
    The pilot is now lit. I can hear it. Is that normal ? I don’t remember hearing my old one being lit this loud.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Normally it's normal. Thermocouple should be dull red.
  • sldamiano
    sldamiano Member Posts: 34
    Pilot seems to be hissing though.
  • MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
    You can try adjusting the pilot flame. Remove the screw just next to the the tubing. Under it is a pilot flame adjustment screw. You may be able to adjust it there to where it's not as loud/intense.
  • Tim McElwain
    Adjust the pilot so the flame hits the upper 1/2 to 3/8 of the thermocouple and the tip is dull red. If you have a meter you should read 25 to 30 millivolts with the thermocouple disconnected from the valve and leads connected to the tip and the other lead to outer housing o the thermocouple.
  • The orifice could have fallen out when you changed the tubing. Is it a large flame?
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Tim McElwain
    The orifice size for that pilot by the way is a .018 for natural gas.
  • ilya
    ilya Member Posts: 1
    my pilot tube connected to gas valve has small gas leak.
    Can i disconnect this tube with flare and ferrule and connect it again ?
    If i put new ferrule do i have to cut the end of the 1/4" tube that has been squeezed little bit before?
    thank you
  • Tim McElwain
    To be sure and safe cut the tube and place a new nut and ferrule. Then make it up with a wrench until you feel it grab, then soap the connection with some liquid soap and water and see if it bubbles.