Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water Heater Connector

SENWiEco
SENWiEco Member Posts: 159
Good Evening

Thanks again for past help on my hydronic heating design. Hope to order all materials shortly.

Have a quick question on connecting my new RHEEM Hybrid water heater. I had hoped to use the Uponor flex connectors, but they are a special order in my area and I cannot wait.

I was wondering what the pros thought of the Brass Craft Procoat Stainless Steel Water Heater Connector SWB00-24N.

I need FIP to FIP connections and looking for something with a true 3/4" ID to not create a bottleneck in my system (I have Uponor tube everywhere else and have taken an effort to ensure no significant flow restrictions in system). I can get these fairly quickly online (I am in Canada, so online sources are limited) , but have not heard of them and do not know their quality.

If these are not a recommended connector, can the pros throw some recommended brands my way.

Many thanks
Sean
Sean Wiens

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    That is a good brand and should work fine. There is always a bit of pressure drop in a corrugated tube.
    Maybe look at the braided stainless type, I think they flow a bit better.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    SENWiEco
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,590
    I don't know what your story is with codes, inspections etc but Uponor allows direct connection of pex to non-atmospheric water heaters like power vented and hybrid. As long as the pex isn't near something hot like a drafthood.

So that would mean some threaded npt to propex adapters and you're done basically.

page 63 in the pdf
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    SENWiEco
  • SENWiEco
    Thanks @ChrisJ - will look into. Thanks @hot_rod - problem with Sharkbite is they do not have any FIPxFIP hoses.
    Sean Wiens
  • hot_rod
    SENWiEco said:

Thanks @ChrisJ - will look into. Thanks @hot_rod - problem with Sharkbite is they do not have any FIPxFIP hoses.

Watts, Fluidmaster and a bunch of others offer braided stainless connectors, with various connection options. Here is a Fluid master example.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    SENWiEco
  • SENWiEco
    thanks @hot_rod - problem has been limited brands carried by local wholesaler. Lots of options online in the USA, but limited in Canada. I am waiting to hear back from inspector - making my own out of Uponor would be best option.
    Sean Wiens
  • hot_rod
    I think by code you are supposed to have a union connections? Does Uponor hav a fitting like that? I have seen regular Pex barb Union adapters, must be expansion versions also.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,590
    If it was me and I needed to have unions and something between the heater and the pex to comply with code, I would use copper for that section. Throw your valves, unions etc all in the copper and then adapt to pex.

Previously I liked using a brass coupler and a male copper adapter because it seemed stronger than female copper adapters, but the recent batch of male copper adapters I got kind of.......sucked. Terrible threads but I made them work.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment