Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

(not again....) can we identify this hydronic baseboard?

Bob Vennerbeck
Bob Vennerbeck Member Posts: 105
I harbor no fantasies about getting matching baseboard or accessories, but I would love to identify this residential hydronic baseboard - rear panel with full length hanger formed for front assembly stands 10" off the floor; enclosure front has brackets spot welded to top and bottom panels - can't really tell if vane is welded in, or clipped in - it's very much PAINTED in, and I'd hate to mess it up trying to move it....

Yes - the cat fur and carpet almost completely block the bottom of the front panel - might be able to remount the whole shebang about a 1/2" higher without messing up the piping.

Vbob

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Is it even worth trying to save it?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Bob Vennerbeck
  • Bob Vennerbeck
    Ironman - apart from being fully installed, not leaking, and performing to the resident's satisfaction, what else do you see wrong with it?
    I remain curious about its provenance, and plan to clean it up as I have occasion to do other work in each room. Whether the vanes are designed to move or not may have to remain a mystery, because removing the paint to find out makes this a much larger project.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Looks pretty nasty, I would replace it.

But I have had good luck using a pump sprayer with with some cleaner in it tarp on the floor wet dry vac and a shallow cake pan under where your spraying
    Bob Vennerbeck
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    I never seen theat make before my self . The aluminum fins are always press fitted to the copper tubing .
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
    Bob Vennerbeck
  • Bob Vennerbeck
    Ebebratt-Ed & Big Ed_4 - thanks! Your cleaning suggestion is pretty much what I thought of trying, once I get the sprayer back from the gardening half of the team. If I ruin the carpet I won't be heartbroken..... The fin-tube is entirely traditional aluminum on copper and could be swapped out if need be; but the enclosure is 10" high and the walls were paneled down to the top of enclosure, so lots of fussy patching or added trim would be involved in replacing that. Doing nothing at all is still an acceptable option, up until I do more than just pop the covers off.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Get a fin comb or needle nose pliers and straighten them as best as possible, you need good air flow thru the fins to get rated output.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    I would handle the paneling coming to the top of the case by bringing the new case up to the bottom of the paneling. An extra couple inches underneath just means better airflow and less issues with carpet and other objects on the floor impeding airflow.
    Ironman
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    mattmia2 said:

I would handle the paneling coming to the top of the case by bringing the new case up to the bottom of the paneling. An extra couple inches underneath just means better airflow and less issues with carpet and other objects on the floor impeding airflow.

The first pic indicates that the paneling comes half way down behind the BB's enclosure. You can see it in the crack between two sections.

Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Alan Welch
    Alan Welch Member Posts: 266
    Have seen it before, but don't know who made it. Doing a Google search it looks similar to a product made by Q mark, maybe an older version? They make hydronic and electric baseboard heat.