Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler heat bypass - how to tell?

bennyblanco99
bennyblanco99 Member Posts: 8
I have a Slant boiler which feeds into ground heating, hot water tank and a furnace exchange (for ac and blower).

I just realized with the AC on now, piping going into the furnace is hot and my AC is not working. I don't remember which pipe I have to bypass, but I do recall one of the valves should be turned off.

How can I determine this?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    @bennyblanco99

need pictures
  • bennyblanco99
    Here's a panoramic of the room

https://imgur.com/a/jMzlBWn
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    You shouldn't have to turn off any valves.
    Is the hydro coil zone actually running, or is it definitely bypassing a flow check?

Are those the zone circs near the ceiling above the boiler?

If the boiler is cold start then flow shouldn't matter. The occasional domestic call wont help but the coil loop shouldn't be constantly hot.
  • bennyblanco99
    Maybe one of the circs is DOA.. unsure. I do recall when I bought the house the previous owner mentioned flipping one of the valves when going hot/cold weather and vice versa.

All I know if the pipe going into the furnace with the yellow arrow down is HOT. I flipped the valve back to the loop and it seems to have resolved the issue, if not partially. Unsure if that is the proper course of action though.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    I can't make sense of the panorama. Some still frames would help.
    You should not have to close valves manually between seasons. The system should shut off flow automatically.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein