Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Maintenance of Infrared Burners

Options
mattmia2
mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
edited May 2020 in Gas Heating
I have a grill with an IR burner and some critter somewhere between a chipmunk and squirrel made its home in it. It was all full of pieces of grass. The IR burner had a cover over it which is provided for use when the conventional burner is in use so the inside didn't get very dirty. I removed the burner and sprayed mostly the outside in detergent and washed off the burner and I flushed the ceramic itself with plain water to remove any excrement the animal may have left on the burner (along with scrubbing out the inside of the grill). Do I need to let it dry for several days to make sure the ceramic hasn't absorbed water that will make steam and crack the burner matrix?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    Not sure if ceramic will absorb water or not. Maybe but it in an oven on low-low to dry it or use a heat gum on low
    mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    Options
    Apparently the box is sealed up such that it doesn't drain very well either, i just picked it up and heard sloshing and poured some more water out, maybe water that dripped out of the matrix of the ceramic. i think giving it a couple weeks is a good idea rather way. i could bake it with the convention burner as well.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Let it dry for a day if you need it...
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    Off topic.

One Friday I had a cell phone and was working inside a plugged up water tower full of leaves and water. Somehow my cell phone feel off my hip into a bucket of water and leaves. Handed the bucket out to my helper to dump it on the ground. When he dumped it out plopped my phone. The screen was blank so I shut it off. Back in my truck I turned it on and it started to smoke. I pulled the battery thinking it was toast and threw the phone on the dashboard. Monday morning I popped the battery back in and it worked fine . A weekend cooking on the dash dried it out
    mattmia2
  • LolaLiu
    LolaLiu Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Once I had washed my grill. Like completely washed, every detail of it. I let it dry for 3 days and then used it as before. No problems after all.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Our small movie theater is run by volunteers.
    Some one submerged the popcorn kettle for cleaning, after that it would trip the GFCI outlet.
    Being in winter heating season, we took it and set it on top of a 500,000 steam boiler for a week.

It got dried out and is still working after several years.