Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Confused?? Tank empty, but gauge state 1/4 tank, how messed up? why? how can I correct it???

LS123
LS123 Member Posts: 466
I totally emptied oil tank so I could have it moved to another place in the basement. Although there are no oil n the tank, gauge still stay at 1/4 tank full... I am able to tale take gauge out but what do I replace it with so indicate exact ( or approximate amount of oil in the tank?? This is my first time noticing such....
what should I do?? would love to get some feedback on this. Thank you All!!!
Thank you!
@LS123

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,161
    Those gauges are notoriously inaccurate, even the best of them. Amazon has them... just replace it. You can, with patience, make your own calibration chart for it -- read the gauge before you get a delivery, and note the amount delivered. That will work. Until the float sinks or comes off...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    LS123
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,761
    edited May 2020
    The gauge needs to be aligned . The float and linkage type is aligned with the width of the tank . Check the arrow under the plastic dome .. If not aligned the cork float will hang on the bottom curve of the tank .
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
    LS123
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Are you positive its empty? Did you measure?

Where is the oil being drawn from? Top or bottom?
    LS123
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    @HVACNUT

Doubt he moved with a 1/4 of a tank in it although I have slid them over enough to get a new tank in the same spot and then transferred the oil I never liked doing it
    LS123
  • LS123
    hello all! @ EBEBRATT-Ed and @HAVCNUT @Jamie Hall @Big Ed_4 . Thank you all. The Tank is empty for sure. I took out the gauge. I am guessing perhaps someone or previous owner put the wrong gauge? I would probably have to go to heating suplly store and ask them to give me the correct size of gauge?? Still confused. Oil is bieng drown from the bottom of the tank in the basement. I am positive its empty because we transfer the fuel to a temp tank. there is nothing left in the tank with the wrong gauge. Thanks Big Ed 4, I will try what you suggest. Thanks @Jamie Hall
    will keep you posted with the out come of this. thanks again all!!
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited May 2020
    There’s basically 2 sizes for gauges. No Teflon tape on any fittings. And grab a bottle off additive for your first fill up.
    steve
    LS123
  • LS123
    just an update... tank height is 44 inches and with 26 and 1/2. Gauge was not calibrated correctly. I did some google search and found hand full of digital gauges that give me exact gallons of fuel in the tank. they range in $100 to $250. Most likely will replace current one with a digital one. Some have wireless access, so I can check the fuel left in the tank from my couch :)
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • Jamie Hall
    Wish I had that kind of cash... I check Cedric's gauge (which sank years ago -- I use the lift and lower until I hear the splash approach) every morning on my way back upstairs after checking Cedric...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    HVACNUTLS123STEVEusaPAJellis
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,761
    Rocket gauge is another ...
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
    LS123SuperTech
  • LS123
    I am slowly trying to upgrade the whole house to use some new tech products for convenience. I worked in Tech stuff for 30 years..but will not have or allow my house to be totally controlled by products such a Amazon Alexa, Google, Microsoft etc...
    I would only have my devices connected to router that has no internet connections ( so no hackers can snoop in or change configurations etc). I did take a look at rocket its wireless sensor but would not give me exact gallons in the tank. perhaps I am getting too used to seeing my car's gas gauge that tells me how many gallons of fuel in the tanks (plus calculations of how many miles before empty etc... :)

Thank you!
    @LS123
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    edited May 2020
    > @Big Ed_4 said:
    > Rocket gauge is another ...

I've had the Beckett Rocket for a while now. I'm pretty happy with it. The receiver is in a countertop outlet in the kitchen. Can't miss it.

My tank is outside aboveground so it does get condensation on the sensing surface on the bottom of the transmitter from time to time. Quick wipe with a rag. No biggie.
    LS123SuperTech
  • LS123
    Thanks you for this info. My tank is in basement.

Last few weeks I have learned a lot about my heating system....replaced the fuel burner nozzle, cleaned the electrodes, new filter on the burner, and filter for the fuel tank. also adjusted the air setting and nozzle distance, air intake. Before the adjustments today, it would take about 25-30 mins to all the radiators to heat up and steam vents to start screaming. (for

After the adjustments, now its taking about 15-20 mins max to heaters to get hot, and steam vents to release pressure and PSI to get to between two to three. Thank you all for your feedback.
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • Jamie Hall
    Ah… your cutoff pressure is too high. By a factor of 2. You're wasting oil...
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • Leonard
    Leonard Member Posts: 903
    edited May 2020
    My tank oil gauge worked....... so to accurately calibrate it to know gallons remaining, I put an hour meter on oil burner, filled tank, then recorded hour meter, tank gauge reading with magnafiying glass and machinist's ruler, every few days for few months in winter till tank was eventually empty. Plus as tank became less than 1/4 fill I also sticked the tank for a depth reading. Wood broom stick marked in 1/4 inches.

Knowing the burner nossel size in GPH I then could make my own very acurarate chart of how much oil was left in tank, given gauge or stick reading.

This told me if I could make it thru the night or weekend on what was left in tank. worked well.

I kept a some diesel in few gallon jugs during testing for when tank ran out. Just dump oil in tank, bleed air out of pump and re-fire, good for the night

• rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    When you get some test instruments hooked up to the burner and set it up for best fire, and then set your steam pressure as Jamie said, then you might have to do this all over again, as you are most likely not going to be burning the same gallonage.
    Also, with a round tank, the markings on the stick are not going to be linear. It will drop faster when the fuel is fulll, slow down in the middle, and then go faster as it gets below half. You could make a graph that is accurate if you have the math skills and the ability to write the program. I am pretty sure it has already been done by someone though.
    If you just make sure the tank never gets below half, then it shouldn’t matter much how full it is
    Rick
  • LS123
    @rick in Alaska , @Leonard , @Jamie Hall , thank you all!
    Thank you!
    @LS123