Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

two options for placing mini-split

I think the best way to run a mini-split is to have the lines go in through the basement. I have a big concrete pit in back of the house. it's about 20ft wide along the house, 9ft deep, and extends away from the house 10ft. it's just a very large egress from the basement door, with some stairs to the back yard. over top of this, it is half covered by a concrete shelf/walkway that leads from the ground-level back door to the back yard.

I could 1) install the outdoor unit in this 20x10ft space, underneath the walkway (with roughly 20x5ft opening). or 2) install above this space, and wrap the cable/pipes a couple of feet away from the house, then underneath itself, into the house.

what do you think? is it ok to run refrigerant lines down a couple of feet then back up?

Comments

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,139
    I like the sound of the second option better. I prefer to have the outdoor unit on the ground, level, with plenty of space between the back of the unit and the wall. At least 18-24". Need enough room to properly clean the coil down the road. I despise seeing the outdoor unit mounted to the wall for this reason.
  • weil_fail
    weil_fail Member Posts: 84
    since the space is roughly 10x20ft, it could be mounted in this "pit" 18in from any wall. it could also be covered weather, at least partially
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    weil_fail said:

since the space is roughly 10x20ft, it could be mounted in this "pit" 18in from any wall. it could also be covered weather, at least partially

As long as theres 36" of clearance form the sides, front and top for servicing!
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    We avoid all mount unless it’s a concerted foundation, as in heating mode they can vibrate the structure sometimes. Never has issues cleaning hte coil on a wall mount unit. The coils are really open and very easy to clean. For some reason don’t seem to build up as bad as conventional units. Not sure why. Coil is smaller but maybe higher air velocity and Slightly wider fin spacing. Not sure.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,587
    I hung the outdoor unit on the building where I work and it's very noticeable inside. We're a shop so it doesn't matter, there's much much louder things going on.

But there's no way I'd want it like that at my house. That'd be annoying.

The one at the shop is an LG 12,000 btu/h

It'd probably be ok on a masonary wall as @motoguy128 said.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    On residential I stopped using the wall mounts a few years ago instead I use the stands ,I find that being most are heat pumps now it better to mount on the stand it keeps it out of the snow and allows the unit to defrost and drain instead of having ice build up in the base for the unit . It also keeps it from being covered in mulch which in this area everybody just keep adding more never removing so the bases and the first 4 to 6 inch are buried . Usually I go to a masonry yard and buy two 4 ft lentils and a few bags of gravel we semi bury the lentils and mount our stand on that ,it always looks better then most that I see done . On side not if running linesets and interconnecting wiring through a basement or anything inside the home aside from right out the back you should make sure your using the correct approved wire ,I have stopped using the plastic coated tray wire they usually include in a package mini split deal being we have failed inspection due to the wire is not approved for running through the building . ( inside the framing ) We have been using a 4 wire Mc cable that is plastic coated and rated for both indoor and outdoor use and it’s stranded wire also and there are special water tight fitting for connecting . I had seen your other post about a condensate pump there are specific mini pumps that fit under the indoor coils cover ,I personally try to avoid there use they are usually finicky and will fail if the coils and filters are not kept clean and make sure the little vent tube is not obstructed any partially obstruction on the vent will cause the pump up to over flow usually leaving water stains on the wall best advice run a drain over the use of a pump . If you can get it to a location where you can use a standard condensate pump instead of the mini both make some noise w the mini pump being pretty quite .peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating