Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Boiler replacement Help

Blin0002
Blin0002 Member Posts: 6
edited April 2020 in Strictly Steam
Gonna be replacing this boiler with a Utica using a double header, my ? is if we raise the header say to at 2ft above the jacket with 2 take offs would we need drip legs on the 2 supplies or would we be all set just raising the header up about 2ft and using 2 take offs directly into supply piping, Im thinking the 2 current drip legs off of the current supply piping was due to a low header and if we raise it we wouldnt need them? Whats your take thx

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    More pictures from the left side and show the back piping.

It is best if you stay with a single posting on this site.
    Otherwise you go back and forth.
    Maybe you could delete the other before it gets responses.
    Blin0002
  • Blin0002
    edited April 2020
    Will do @JUGHNE , sorry have no other pics right now, but do you think those drip legs are there now because the header was short?
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,951
    Counterflow???
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    And why a Utica. Aren't Utica's side outlet?
    ethicalpaul
  • Blin0002
    @STEAM DOCTOR So they are needed? Well customer wants Utica or Pennco and no its just a 3 section with headers off of top left
  • Blin0002
    @STEAM DOCTOR So even if we raise header your saying still pipe in drip legs ?
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Steam Doctor has a good point. The mains look to be counter flow.....draining condensate back towards the boiler.
    However it looks like there are dry returns also.
    Part of the mains could be counter flow and then change to parallel flow downstream.

BTW, there are 2 pipe counter flow systems. Could this be one of them?
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    Hard to say without seeing in the flesh. My gut feeling is that they are there to deal with condensate from counter flow mains. If so,they probably should not be removed. Drop header is always a good idea.
  • Blin0002
    @STEAM DOCTOR @JUGHNE Do you think with a double header raised and piped with the drips legs we would be all set on the supply side and then tie them into the dry returns like they are currently? Thx for the help
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    Should be good. My bad about the Utica. Was thinking about the gas Utica. Definitely get Dan's steam books. The bibles of steam heating.
    Blin0002
  • Blin0002
    @STEAM DOCTOR I have Dans bible, have watched the videos, I just second guess myself all the time and like someone with more experience to chime in, you know that things in the field aint always the way they should be, sometimes less than and sometimes overkill. Again I appreciate the help and will role with the higher double header with the drip legs...
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    Things in the field ain't never the way they should be. Full steam ahead and good luck. Never ever hesitate to ask.