Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help Identifying Maid o Mist Steam Vent Model #

rbamato3
rbamato3 Member Posts: 1
Hello,

I was wondering if someone would be able to help me identify the Maid o Mist vent model on one of my bedroom radiators? See picture attached. We just bought a home in Northern NJ and we wanted to replace 2 of the hissing vents.

I already identified the other bedroom Vent as a Gortons No. C but this one doesnt look like it has any distinguishable engravings other than the "15".

Comments

• Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    edited April 2020
    See the number or letter stamped in the vent port at the top. They use the same body on all their vents and stamp the port size right next to the port. These ports are interchangeable, so if you can't find one of the same size, you can buy a different one and swap the ports.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    Look at the top of the knurled orifice on the top of the vent. It will have a stamped number or possibly letter. But it should be a number.

Tell us more about your hissing vents? Do they hiss steam, or just air?
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    Replace the Valve with a Hoffman 1A , The Hoffman is a better vent and it's adjustable .
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    Big Ed_4 said:

Replace the Valve with a Hoffman 1A , The Hoffman is a better vent and it's adjustable .

Actually, FWIM, I found they were hard to adjust accurately if you need a slower vent, which most people do, but may not realize they do, and in many cases noisier than my MoM vents. It a good catch-all however with a very wide range.

Vent-rites cost more but work far far better than anything else I‘ve tried. Although they too can whistle. Gordon’s are better quality but not adjustable by changing orifice.

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    edited April 2020
    Chevy or Ford , Hoffman or Gordon, Vent-rites , I will use them on residential, maybe , like with that problem radiator in the addition . I would use them before piping in a king vent . One of the draw backs with the Heat-Timer is that they are not a float type vent like the others .

Hoffmans have better chrome :)
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    I don't think the OP was asking for a recommendation, and recommending a 1A when you don't know the size of the vent being replaced is a bumb steer. If the MoM vent was the right size, replace it with the same size MoM or Gorton. Or get an adjustable vent if you think you might like to waste your time fiddling with it.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    If that vent does not have a vent isentifier stamped on it, here are the vent hole sizes-

#4 0.04"
    #5 0.07
    #6 0.09
    #C 0.12
    #D 0.18

This will ley you know what size that vent is. You can use drills or known wire sizes to gauge them.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    Hap_Hazzard