Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Plug valves for balancing heating system

Zman
Zman Member Posts: 7,561
I am working on project where the steel threaded pipes and being eaten just after the valves where the threads are cut in. I am wondering about the suitability of plugs valves used for balancing. Does anyone have thoughts or experience with these valves as balancing valves? https://www.dezurik.com/resources/dezurik-eccentric-plug-valves-pec--pef-.5-3-pec-eccentric-plug-valves-bulletin-12_00_1a.pdf
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
Albert Einstein

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Their info claims it is idea for balance. Ideally you would size by Cv not line size. That is important for balancing, valve authority.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Zman
    hot_rod said:

Their info claims it is idea for balance. Ideally you would size by Cv not line size. That is important for balancing, valve authority.

They may have originally balanced these based of delta t or an estimate based off percentage closed/open. The are no ports for hydronic manometer anywhere.

I am making recommendations for steps that need to be taken to solve the corrosion/erosion issue and really am just trying to figure out if the valves are part of the problem. Since most of them are seized, they definitely are not part of the solution.
    Albert Einstein
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    @Zman

I have seen hundreds of those and I hate to be blunt but they SUCK! I don't think I have ever found one that was not seized. Taco used to make a plug valve type (they dropped it) and they were popular around here but always froze up. Without tappings to check flow they are useless.
    Zman
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    If the goal is to check and be able to balance flow, invest in a quality balance valve. Quicksetters are nice if you want to make ongoing adjustments to dial in a system with unknown flow spec.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Zman
    hot_rod said:

If the goal is to check and be able to balance flow, invest in a quality balance valve. Quicksetters are nice if you want to make ongoing adjustments to dial in a system with unknown flow spec.

That is going to be my recommendation. There will be lots of them.
    Albert Einstein