Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

WR36C84-945 troubleshooting

dodle
dodle Member Posts: 3
I replaced an old WR 36C84-255 with a new WR36C84-945 pressure regulator in Trane BLV068L94290 heater. Everything lined up and installed perfectly. However, I'm not getting the pilot to ignite. Plugged in, pilot valve on, with thermostat set higher than room temp it sparks incessantly yet doesn't ignite. I previously replaced the ignition wire harness and the sensor so assume that's not the problem. When gas line valve is open it doesn't seem to spark as regularly. Faster and less visibly though. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Silly question, but did you bleed the air out of the gas piping?
  • dodle
    I did remove the pilot feed line to make sure there was no blockage. Also the flex line from the gas feed valve to the regulator.. both are unobstructed..triple checked the wiring against the schematic provided with the new 36C84-945 regulator.. everything checks out.. still no ignition. Two low voltage wires from the thermostat outside the heater were cut, presumably by SDG&E to disable the unit, apparently since the old regulator was leaking. Reconnected according to color. Also tried adjusting the pilot ..still no ignition. I've been retired since 2007. Attempting to help a friend heat her home. Since she doesn't recall specifics of what SDG&E told her when they disabled the unit I'm approaching this forensically. Gas is most definitely getting to the regulator. Running out of clues...
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Do you have the 5059 control on this system? Is the SPDT plug in pushed all the way into the gas valve? Also that is not a regulator but is a gas valve. This system is known as a White Rodgers Cycle Pilot System.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    > @Tim McElwain said:
    > Do you have the 5059 control on this system? Is the SPDT plug in pushed all the way into the gas valve? Also that is not a regulator but is a gas valve. This system is known as a White Rodgers Cycle Pilot System.

I was going to mention that. No voltage or gas pressure readings either.

Sir, stay retired please. If a utility shut off the system, then a phone call to the utility is job one.
    Job two is to have a licensed contractor make whatever repairs and tests are required to appease the utility. Only then, and with a combustion analysis, should the system be commissioned.

You do get to be job supervisor though.
  • dodle
    I neglected to mention I'm a retired contractor... actually did this kind of work occasionally in the way back before I was the boss. I do plan on staying retired. Simply attempting to help a friend save a buttload of $..and still have heat.. If not for having a bit of a clue for going about this there would have been no attempt. Thanks for your input. It is most appreciated.
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    @HVACNUT is right, you need to contact the utility to find out the full reasoning behind shutting that system down. Seriously, the possible reasons could be lethal to you and your friend. Sounds like they made sure the system will not fire easily for a reason...
    D
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    When the utility red tags an appliance for a reason of safety, don’t they usually leave a descriptive notice, as to why the unit was disabled?—NBC