Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat cycle reversed, what thermostat do I need?

Options
TooHot
TooHot Member Posts: 1
edited February 2020 in Thermostats and Controls
The valve in my radiator is open under a no power condition. That is the heat is on, it is open and flows hot water, when no power is supplied to the valve actuator. This is normal for radiator valves apparently.

My problem is my 2 wire wall thermostat makes a connection when under temp and opens the connection when over temp. Exactly the opposite of what I want/need. The result of this is the heat is on when the thermostat is over the set point and off when under the set point. What wall thermostat do I need to correct this? I need a NC (normally closed model). Problem is manufacturers do not label them or identify this in specs.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Use the cooling terminals : “R & Y”.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    mattmia2
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,519
    Options
    Yes as @Ironman mentioned you could use a cooling stat. If your air conditioner is using the y & R terminals you can also use your existing stat with a relay to reverse the operation of your thermostat to run the heat from the R & W terminals but would require a little wiring
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,637
    Options
    /could also replace the actuator with a normally closed actuator, but the relay will be cheaper.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,834
    Options
    Power close, spring open? What brand and model valve?