Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Natural gas smell from turning on a second furnace

Options
Whutt316
Whutt316 Member Posts: 1
Hello,
This problem is confusing me. I have a garage that is detached from my house. When I turn the furnace on in the garage, my house smells like natural gas. This smell only is noticeable when I turn on the furnace in the garage. I have 4 things in the house that are ran off of natural gas. My furnace(in the house). my clothes dryer, my stove and my hot water heater. I have talked with some people about this and they think I am crazy. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Tell us a little about the gas line size and routing.
    Do you have a manometer?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Any problem with the pilot lights on the stove going out when you start the 2nd furnace?
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    Yeah can you post BTU ratings of all gas appliances, meter and pipe sizes?
    Seems like a major drop in gas pressure and incomplete combustion.
    ZmanDZoro
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,645
    Options
    call the utility and have them investigate to make sure it is not leaking.
    DZoro
  • PRR
    PRR Member Posts: 126
    Options
    I had that with a large water-heater on a small propane tank that we let get low. The pressure got lower than the burner was designed for. The poor combustion spilled unburned gas into the house. Getting that tank topped-off was the instant fix.

My guess (and I think everybody's) is that your pipes were sized for less load than you have now. This happens when loads are added without checking pipe sizes. Draw out the system, pipe lengths, sizes, elbows, supply and loads. Then do some hard arithmetic with the AGA tables. (A Master Plumber can do this faster than you, and a neat sketch may save him some time.)
    mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,645
    Options
    You can also do it with the equation, which might be best for your case, any table method is going to overestimate to one extent or another and doing it with the equation will tell you exactly what parts you must make larger.