Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Derating NG fired boiler for altitude

CTG
CTG Member Posts: 14
Zman said:

They have a test facility at 9,600' in Breckenridge which gives them the most accurate altitude deration in the business.They run very well at altitude.
The WHB series is my favorite. The WHB155 with 10-1 turndown would be about right.

Started a new thread to not distract from the current thread the quote by @Zman above came from.

What would be the proper way to calculate this? ...being right around the corner from Breck in the back of the Cove at 9200' Is there a formula some where on the Lochinvar site?

I have worked through the SlantFin app in detail room by room getting me to 141,000 Heat Loss (micro zoned).

Our InDirect is an HTP SSU-60 that wants 174,000 for it's first hr rating.

My next step on heat loss will be to use HeatLoadPro, but currently working my way through Modern Hydronic Heating and idronics publications.

Thanks,

Chris

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    It is in the I&O manual for the model you are looking at. It varies from model to model.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Your heat loss sounds a bit high. How many square feet?
    The rating for the indirect is the max boiler size it can transfer at full fire. There is no issue with the boiler being smaller, in fact it will run more efficiently because it will operate in condensing range. What are your hot water needs? Big tubs? What size/model boiler do you have now? How does it perform?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • CTG
    CTG Member Posts: 14
    Thank you!