Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Leaking Valve

Hi everyone I have a weird question I have a steam boiler and fill up the water once the water light comes on or sometimes before . Any way the valve leaks from the handle sometimes.But can this also drip into the boiler ? For some reason my boiler has more water then it did before I know I shutoff the valve.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    No, the drip from the handle can't get into the boiler. However... a drip from the handle (which can usually be cured by tightening the packing) may also indicate that the valve is... tired. If it's a globe valve, you may be able to refinish the seat and replace the washer. If it's a gate or a ball, it could be leaking by -- and the only sure cure is replacement.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    JayLobo
  • JayLobo
    JayLobo Member Posts: 8
    Yes it a bad valve I dumped some water waited a few hours went and Checked my sight glass and the level was up again
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    does your boiler have a hot water coil on it as well?
    JayLobo
  • JayLobo
    No hot water coil.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    @jaylobo

Yes you need a new valve. If you know how to cut and sweat pipe you could do it (i am assuming it's copper pipe)

Or you can get a plumber or your service dept.

There's always "shark bite" valves which can be put into a copper line without soldering.

I don't like them but they would get you through the winter at least. You could cut one of those in and leave your existing valve in place. Lowe's and HD have them they are all the rage now
    JayLobo
  • JayLobo
    I'm lucking who ever installed used a threaded valve . I hope its easy to remove . If not I just call the plumber and have them also install a backup shut off I have not sweated a pipe in a while .
  • JayLobo

mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    looks like you can just open that union on the backflow preventer and take the valve out. you even have a nipple in to the supply pipe you could replace with a different length if you want to use a valve that is a different length
    JayLobo
  • JayLobo
    The only positive is my boiler has never been so clean :) I have to keep draining some water every few hours.
  • mattmia2
    that's not good for your boiler
    SuperTech
  • JayLobo
    edited February 2020
    Which valve should I buy with or without bleeder?
  • mattmia2
    It doesn't matter a whole lot in that application. The waste fitting is nice to have sometimes, so if the cost is about the same and it is the same size as the old valve, I would get a valve with waste.
    JayLobo
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    That looks to be a gate valve....you do not want another one.
    They are notorious for failing to provide 100% shut off.

A ball valve would be the better choice there, but they may be too long and the handle might not be able to swing/rotate as needed.

IIWM, I would go for a good quality globe valve that is close in length to what you have there. Then no handle problems.
    JayLobo
  • mattmia2
    edited February 2020
    You could use a ball valve with a wing type handle if clearance is an issue. Probably would need to use a shorter nipple.

You could open the union and let if drip in a bucket until you can replace the valve.
    JayLobo
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    @JayLobo

I would replace it with a ball valve if you have the room. Or use a globe valve. Measure the length of you old valve and try and find one the same length.

There are union fittings on both sides of the backflow preventer so you can remove that easily.

If the new valve is longer or shorter you can adjust that with the length of the threaded nipples on either side. Use brass nipples.

And once you take the backflow preventer out you will have to put new gaskets in the union fittings.

Pretty easy if you have the right stuff
  • JayLobo
    I'm using a ball valve it wasnt to bad replacing it
    SuperTech
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    @JayLobo

Glad you got it fixed. Did the boiler stop filling? Was the old valve a Globe valve with a bad washer or a gate valve?