Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dole Flow Control

Zman
Zman Member Posts: 7,561
edited February 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
I ran into this product installed on a large domestic recirc system. Does anyone know what the CV value of one of these little buggers is? It is probably 1980's vintage. It looks like model 985

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
Albert Einstein

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Maybe try try the Eaton site
    For old literature
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • hot_rod
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Flow restrictor. Used to put them on tankless coils to prevent overdrawing them. That was before low flow shower heads. I think they were rated around 2 or 3 gpm
  • Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 645
    We use Dole Flow Control Valves all the time to meter the water flow volume for sealing liquid ring vacuum pumps.

The construction is a flexible orifice backed up with a fixed orifice. The flow rate in GPM is stamped on the valve's housing.

With this construction, the rated GPM is pretty much constant, + or - 15%, through a supply pressure ranging from around 25 PSI through 100 PSI.

I like them because the alternate is an adjusting valve in the seal water line, and if its adjustable, someone will mess with it and the pump will then get the wrong amount of seal water.
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.
  • hot_rod
    Basically a pressure independent balance valve the opening varies based Differential pressure changes
    PIB or PIV is another name

https://www.caleffi.com/sites/default/files/file/01166_19_na.pdf
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    I am trying to determine the correct recirc pump size. I need to know how much head i need to throw at one of these in order to get say .25 gpm out the other side.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • hot_rod
    They use a different technology, but I suspect sizing would be similar to the Caleffi. The Cv changes as the orifice size changes to regulate
    So here is how we size the 121 and 127 valves, a PIV pressure independent valve, a aka "flow control valve"

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA