Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mass save recommendation of an Indirect

Mass save recommended to me that i replace the coil in my boiler with an indirect tank. Is this the best way to go? I don’t have gas or propane, and i don’t want to add an electric unless that would be the most cost effective over time. I’m stuck between just doing a hybrid, or getting the Burnham thermoplastic tank. Thanks

Comments

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,156
    An indirect tank is a good idea. Tankless coils are a huge waste of fuel and they usually perform poorly and require frequent descaling if you have hard water.

It's ridiculous to keep a boiler at 150-160 degrees 24/7 365 days a year to be able to run hot water for a few minutes a day.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,276
    An indirect would be an excellent way to go. Hybrids are nice, but have slow recovery unless the electric resistance feature is engaged -- at which point you might as well have straight electric.

So yes, an indirect off your boiler would be a good choice. IMHO
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • fcris87ibew
    fcris87ibew Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2020
    Ok, the boiler is from 1999, it says 105mbh, would that be 105,000 btu’s? Is that efficient enough to not burn a ton of oil in the summer?
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    It's pretty efficient. You should get the indirect, which will save you on oil. Don't forget to have the installer switch your aquastat back to cold start.
    There are other indirects besides the burnham.
    Plus, when it comes time to change the boiler, you can get an even more efficient boiler.
    Or switch to an Energy Kinetics and you'll end up with super efficient oil boiler, endless hot water (may not even need the indirect based on model).
    steve
  • fcris87ibew
    fcris87ibew Member Posts: 3
    Anyone have any recommendations besides the Burnham thermoplastic?
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,630
    HTP superstore is stainless steel(and a number of others). Check the cholrides in your water and the specs for the tank if you go with stainless.