Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best boiler brand? Why?

Options
Armbar
Armbar Member Posts: 1
edited January 2020 in Gas Heating
Hello,

Looking to replace my 30 year old propane boiler with an on demand boiler and indirect tank. That is about the only thing I could get a consensus on by the 4 plumbers I talked to. 1800 sf house, 2 zones, 2 people and not a huge hot water load. My main concern for the new boiler is longevity, ease of repair (and how frequently will it likely need them) and efficiency. I expect to pay more for a better system, but don't want to waste my money either. I hear viessman is a good brand but prone to very expensive issues when they break. One plumber highly recommended Lochinvar, another said it was too finnicky, one recommended buderus/Bosch but those have aluminum heat exchangers and those are more prone to issues (we have slightly hard, town water). One recommended NTI which I had not heard of before but seems like a good brand? Right now I think I am leading towards Lochinvar/ NTI with Bosch/buderus after? I also know it heavily depends on the contractor and what they are good at installing. Making sure they are doing a thorough job and already eliminated 2 contractors who didn't bother sizing up the house and just went off the old, oversized boiler. I live in Massachusetts (familiar with MassSave) and we have primarily been using wood because the boiler was old and dying. I would also like one with controls (circulator- I heard Lochinvar does that?) that would keep my pipes from freezing if I do run the wood stove after the new boiler is in.
I have tried doing my own research but 10 hours of driving into the internet has just told me everyone has their own opinion but won't necessarily back it up or be reliable.

Thank you!

Comments

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,164
    Options
    Energy Kinetics is a great option for efficiency, reliability and ease of service. Any cast iron basic gas boiler should last an awful long time if well maintained. Mod cons and combis I don't feel will last as long, and generally can't be repaired with universal replacement parts. If reliability, ease of service and longevity is your concerns a basic Weil McLain, Crown or Peerless will serve you well. EK will be an upgrade from the basic boilers.
    szwedj
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Options
    The one installed exactly according to the owners manual. Personally Lochinvar, when done properly.
    D
    Zman
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,164
    Options
    > @DZoro said:
    > The one installed exactly according to the owners manual. Personally Lochinvar, when done properly.
    > D

Yes.
    The quality of the installation is quite a bit more important than the brand, especially when dealing with modulating condensing boilers. Warranties should be considered as well.
    DZoro