Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pipe insulation (and any alternatives to fiberglass?)

Options
msmor23
msmor23 Member Posts: 14
Hi- I need to insulate some of the pipes in basement for my one pipe steam system. Like most, I'm trying to save a buck so curious if there are any cheaper alternatives to the fiberglass pipe insulation. I have about 100' I need to insulate (1.75 OD).

I know the grey foam tubes aren't any good for steam pipes.

Also- any ideas on insulating pipes located within a chase? Without ripping apart the chase or walls?

Thanks for the help

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,519
    Options
    Really fiberglass is the only choice although I have seen some with green insulation more like mineral wool but I doubt it's any cheaper.

Access to the bottom or top of the chase you may be able to slide it on but if you have fittings in the way there are no tricks

Check to make sure you pipes are pitched right and have enough hangers before you insulate
    msmor23
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,637
    Options
    What about dumping or blowing loose fill in to the chase and insulating the whole chase?
    ethicalpaulmsmor23
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    Some people have used regular fiberglass insulation or duct wrap as a low-buck alternative and just wrapped it around their pipes and taped it. Not worth the frustration if you ask me, and it isn't going to look great, but it should provide decent insulation.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
    msmor23
  • gfrbrookline
    gfrbrookline Member Posts: 753
    Options
    What about old fashion newspaper?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,519
    Options
    No, not newspaper it burns. Filling the chase with fiberglass will work
    msmor23
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,967
    Options
    Dont think that newspaper is great idea but wont burn unless its 451 degrees farenheit
    msmor23
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,702
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I bet Ed didn't mean it would burn from the steam, I bet he meant it would make a house fire much worse if one were to occur.

Edit: plus it's a horrible insulator!
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    msmor23
  • exqheat
    exqheat Member Posts: 185
    Options
    2-3 inch fiberglass is great. Get a piece and put it on a pipe. If the outside is not hot it is working. I find 2 inch just great. Keep it tight on the pipe with zip ties.
    John Cockerill Exquisite Heat www.exqheat.com Precisions boiler control from indoor reset.
    msmor23
  • msmor23
    msmor23 Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks for the help & suggestions.