Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tech recommendation near Troy NY... beckett dripper

steamnoob
steamnoob Member Posts: 39
My mother has had a whole parade of chuckleheads in her basement troubleshooting a 2yo oil furnace that is dripping, and nothing they have done has worked. From the invoices, mostly just adjusting/replacing the nozzle and "j tube" (which im guessing is just the air tube), and multiple combustion tests/adjustments. I'm guessing its an equal mix of incompetence and advanced bill generation techniques. I poked around at it today, and not seeing any super obvious leaks, but the pie pan under the burner tells another story. Im guessing its a nozzle afterdrip? What the easiest way to confirm this (given limited time and tools this weekend). Or better yet, anyone know someone north of Albany/Troy that can actually fix it.

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    2 years old?
    Is it a furnace or a boiler?
    What model Beckett? AFG, N/X, AF2?
    There's a weep hole under the white housing. Wipe it with a paper towel and see if there's oil there. If so, it could be nozzle drip or the pump seal.
    Is the primary the Beckett Genisys? What letter is after 7505. B or P?
    Depending on the boiler, the P with post purge might be needed to cool the nozzle assembly.
    Do you have the numbers from the combustion report?
    In any of those cases, you'll have some extra time this weekend because it's not DIY.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    "Advanced bill generation techniques"... I like that. Have to remember it. A nice new boiler (2 years old is new) and it's dripping oil? Ugh. You could try @Charlie from wmass , but last I heard he was booked solid up to about February. But you do need a truly competent person.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Just looked at John Ray and Sons in Troy. www.johnray.com . From the site, it looks like there should be a couple of competent techs there. First hit on Google.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    J Tube is probably what they are calling the nozzle line.
    @Jamie Hall I think the OP stated 'furnace', but you never know, right?
    Make/model numbers, pictures.
    If it's an NX, wouldn't surprise me if they damaged the fitting connecting the fuel pump to the nozzle line.
    steve
  • BDR529
    BDR529 Member Posts: 281
    2yrs old.. All those techs. You got a load of bio-fuel. See if it is declared on the delivery ticket. Even 20% they start leaking.

Or as simple as the burner not tilted back enough.

The fuel would be where to start first.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Burner not tilted back enough?? It's supposed to be pitched towards the fire fox
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    @BDR529 Why would you blame the fuel? Yes pitched as @EBEBRATT-Ed stated, but I think he meant 'box' not 'fox'.
    steve
  • BDR529
    BDR529 Member Posts: 281
    High blends of bio will leak through seals. Fuel suppliers have been greedy with high blends. Not sure if it is in your area, but you can smell it. Nasty stuff.

Get out a level and see it you got a slight pitch. Towards the box.Heating unit is square from the factory but the floor isn't.

Look down the air tube.If there is decent size carbon nuggett at the end or even a carboned retention head, Bio.

• steamnoob
    steamnoob Member Posts: 39
    thanks, but unfortunately got hit with a stomach bug before I could rediagnose and get pictures of the furnace, and now im back home. My mother is going back to the installers. She thinks it should still be under warranty, so I guess she'd rather pay nothing to keep it broken rather than pay to get it fixed. She said they mentioned repitching the burner toward the bix the last time she called... though that seems a bit of a hacky to me.
  • SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 997
    I have a house in Scotia, NY and consulted with Charlie from wmass beginning about a year ago. He was a terrific source, even to this day. He is out of the Springfield, Mass area. Click on the mention of him above in red and you can find his email address. He may be able to advise you.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    If MOM is persistent, the installing company will have no recourse but to call the manufacturers rep and then, they will learn their mistake.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Sorry, but the only good pitching the burner down would be to mask a problem. If the nozzle is dripping, there is something wrong. Air is in the fuel, and end cone overheating, or the fuel pump cutoff is not working as it should be. Either one of these needs to be fixed.A dripping burner will eventually start building up soot.
    Rick
    STEVEusaPA