Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ignighter ( hot surface ignighter) always hot

My hot surface ignighter is getting constant power. Even after ignightion it stays glowing red. I can unlpug it so it does not burn up since i replaced it about a month ago for 70 bucks.. I do not know what to do.. the flame rollout switch trips on me too after too maybe 15 or 20 minutes. I HAVE made sure there are no obstructions in the intake and exaust pipes. Please help. Thank you

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Sounds like a defective control or short or possibly a bad flame sensor.
    Mike_bailey412
  • Mike_bailey412
    Mike_bailey412 Member Posts: 2
    Contol board was what i figured just hate to play the guessing game on a 260 board:(
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    edited December 2019
    What appliance are we talking about? A forced air furnace? Boiler?
    I would not run an appliance that's tripping the rollout! You're not venting the flue gasses properly and are in danger of CO poisoning!
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    So, is the ignitor really on, or is the flame rolling out enough to heat it up, and make it look like it is on?
    If it is really powered on, it sounds like a bad control to me.
    Rick
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    What are you working on, brand, model, pictures
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Rollout after 15 to 20 minutes of running but not in ignition?
    Is this induced draft?
    Pressure switch(es)?

If this is a furnace, you could have a cracked heat exchanger. Stop resetting the Rollout. Shut it off and get a Pro. And some low level CO detectors couldn't hurt either.
  • Jolly Bodger
    Jolly Bodger Member Posts: 209
    Most HSI sit in the flame and will glow during a heat cycle. If it is actually powered the whole cycle, then the board is bad. Check voltage to make sure. A continuously powered HSI can trip rollouts because the HSI puts out a lot more radiant heat that does not follow draft into the exchanger. If it is not the HSI, get a Pro.
    If you buy a new board to fix this problem. get new rollouts as well. they are not made to cycle much and can become weak.