Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ultra 80 series 2

csleeper
csleeper Member Posts: 3
Good morning. Weil mclain ultra 80 series 2, lp, 2007 install. E 02 code, failed ignition 5 times. How does this unit detect flame or ignition? This has been an ongoing problem and very intermittent for quite some time now. Combustion chamber is very clean, replaced igniter in the past. Just replaced gas valve (installed lp orifice also) yesterday...seems worse now. Will run thru a complete cycle if or when it does fire. Again...how does sense flame? Thank you.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    edited December 2019
    Was a combustion analysis done? If so, what are the numbers?
    Was the burner changed as per the instructions in the kit?

Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Unusual to have a bad gas valve. I'd put the original one back in and then put in a new igniter. It senses through the igniter.
    Ironman is right, must be done properly and combustion adjustments must be made accordingly.
    Confirm that the drain system is clean, and confirm no hole in the bottom of the exhaust heat exchanger area.
    D
  • csleeper
    I had an exhaust gas analysis done last year, but it was done while it was having a good day and running properly, i did not see any numbers from the service tech.
    I did install the old orifice in the new gas valve. It took 5 or 6 resets but then ran fine thru the night. Today when it tried to fire up again is when it shut down again.
    I can install the old gas valve and an older igniter (wont find a new one til thurs at earliest) but this problem was there before i changed either or had the analysis done.
    I clean the chamber very well every fall...learned that one the hard way too. I will recheck the condesation hose but the pump was working last also.
    Thank you.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    > @csleeper said:
    >
    > I did install the old orifice in the new gas valve. It took 5 or 6 resets but then ran fine thru the night.
    > Thank you.

I think it's time to get the guy back, diagnose, repair, and combustion test to WM specs.
    Resetting that many times isn't good for anybody.
    And look at the timing?🎄
    DZoro
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    How is the fan running? Getting out there in years....
  • csleeper
    Fan was replaced last year because it developed a high pitched whine. This present problem occurred well before then.
    The boiler only ran thru one cycle (6 hours) with the new gas valve on it and was hard to start. Started smelling gas inside as it tried to fire. Put the old valve back on so i could have heat again...even if it was temporary.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    With all the parts changing, you have no assurance that an old combustion analysis has any validity now.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    I have seen this happen when the old igniter cable is close to being bad. I have also seen this on bad grounds in the unit and connected to the boiler. I would test the igniter cable with ohms and see if its happy and if its borderline I would replace it. Make sure the ground mounted on the igniter (or flame rod) is making a good connection.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt