Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New skim port

Zipper13
Zipper13 Member Posts: 229
edited December 2019 in Gas Heating
MEANT TO GET THIS TO "STRICTLY STEAM" BUT MUST HAVE MISSED IT WHEN POSTING FROM MY PHONE. SORRY!

Just added this skim port.

the boiler is from 2008 and previously had no place to skim from so I suspect its never been done and the water was just treated all these years. That's likely why the water was green when we moved in last year.

Any way just looking for a quick gut check that there aren't any glaring red flags here.

A longer nipple off the boiler would have been better and ill add some kind of safety chain to the valve handle.

Aside from that, anything really wrong/dangerous popping out?
New owner of a 1920s home with steam heat north of Boston.
Just trying to learn what I can do myself and what I just shouldn't touch

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,725
    Looks OK. A larger tapping would be better. The concept is to have the water surface centered in the opening to create a “water fall” action that will cause whatever is floating on the surface to take a ride out of the boiler thru the skim opening. A 3/4” opening has very little room for error and will take much longer to do the job. Is there a larger opening anywhere else?

You will get bombarded with comments if you repost in Strictly steam
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Just be sure you don't let water drip into the electronics of your LWCO.
  • Zipper13
    Zipper13 Member Posts: 229
    That's the only tapping that I feel like I can access, unfortunately. Others just end up rocking the whole boiler when I try to wrench them loose and I figured a slower skim from a 3/4 opening is better than breaking something by trying to free an 11-year rusted in plug.

It's offset a bit to the right of the LWCO and I put a clear hose off then end to direct the flow into a bucket - drip free!!
    New owner of a 1920s home with steam heat north of Boston.
    Just trying to learn what I can do myself and what I just shouldn't touch