Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Converting Monoflo baseboard to Series/split?

Adam_Alberti
Adam_Alberti Member Posts: 10
HI, Long time reader, first time posting.
Looking to do a repipe of my Monoflo system to gain headhight in the basement. Looking for the best way to go as far a piping. Did a lot of reading but wanted to get some opinions if I could. Was planning on using O2 Pex (size depending of how its piped)

Current System works well. No real cold spots
2000 sq fr Cape on Long Island
6 year old Peerless oil burner.
Taco 0015 IFC feeds main line
Taco 007 feeds just LR(9'BB and 9K BTU rad)
Updated windows and insulation.
Burnham baseray 7" CI baseboard throughout 1 st floor
CI rads upstairs (one in downstairs LR as well)

Thinking or doing a series run or maybe split series.
I attached some pics of some ideas, any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

1st idea- series run.
My concern if I would lose too much heat by the end.
Thinking 3/4" O2 PEX
I would run the 007 for the upstairs (3 rads- 17K BTU) and the 0015 would run 2 zones on main level(61' BB and LR (9' BB and 9k BTU rad)

2 idead -split series. Make first floor one zone that feeds into 1" O2 pex return. 2nd floor either do series or split as well?

Open to others ideas of course
Thanks
Adam,

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    I would leave it the way it is. A series system the water looses temperature by the end of the loop where a mono flow system usually looses less temperature. If you convert it to series you may have to add more baseboard near the end of the loop
    Ironman
  • Adam_Alberti
    I’m finishing the basement and I would gain 8” in height so I really would like move the pipes. So maybe the split zone then
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    edited December 2019
    In either proposed scenario, the system performance will not be as good as it is now.
    If 8" of headroom means that much to you, why not just raise the existing pipes?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Adam_Alberti
    If I slam the main line to the joists and shorten all the risers I cold
    Prob get another 4” or so. Seems like a lot of work for a few inches. I would definitely prefer to just repipe it if I doing that much work already. I would be up for different options as well. Manifold system maybe?
  • Ironman
    That would work better than a series loop. Probably more $$.

What am I missing that raising the monoflo wouldn't give you more height but a series loop would?
    Bob Boan
  • Brewbeer
    Brewbeer Member Posts: 616
    I re-piped a mono flow system when I finished the basement of my last house. It was 1 inch copper with 1/2 inch take-offs. I kept the set-up as-is, just raised the main loop up into the joist space. I measured and drilled each joist from the basement so they would all line up perfectly, and then drilled holes through the side of the house in alignment to feed the long lengths of copper through the holes in the joists and cut to length.
    Even re-used all the 50+ year old cast copper monoflow fittings.
    Hydronics inspired homeowner with self-designed high efficiency low temperature baseboard system and professionally installed mod-con boiler with indirect DHW. My system design thread: http://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/154385
    System Photo: https://us.v-cdn.net/5021738/uploads/FileUpload/79/451e1f19a1e5b345e0951fbe1ff6ca.jpg
    DZoro
  • Adam_Alberti
    edited December 2019
    Hi @Ironman
    I would be able to run everything in the joist space rather than below. Then I can Sheetrock right to the joist.

And @Brewbeer
    My setup is all black pipe (2” I think) and cast monoflo tees
  • Adam_Alberti
    So I did some more reading and thinking manifold is the way to go. Would it be a problem to have baseboard loops and rad loops on the same manifold. I would prob use same size pex ( thinking 1/2 would suffice)
  • Ironman
    Are the BBs and the Baseray currently all on the same SWT? If so, how well does that work?
    Bob Boan
  • Adam_Alberti
    Yes. All bb and rads are 180. House feels pretty good. One bedroom gets a little warmer(has 20’ bb). But overall even. Thinking about possible adding basement loop as well
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Homeruns from each rad back to new manifolds at the boiler.
    Adam_Alberti
  • Adam_Alberti
    Thanks! Looks like that’s the consensus. I was actually just looking at a Caleffi manifold. Does it matter if I have bb and rads going to same manifold? If the heat is balanced between loops?
  • Adam_Alberti
    I meant to say similar heat load on each loop
  • Ironman

Thanks! Looks like that’s the consensus. I was actually just looking at a Caleffi manifold. Does it matter if I have bb and rads going to same manifold? If the heat is balanced between loops?

If they're playing well together now, then putting them on the same manifold won't change that.

Bob Boan
    Adam_Alberti
  • Adam_Alberti
    Thanks!!! Appreciate the info everyone!!
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    I'd vote for a home run system also. It would be the easiest to retrofit and clean up the basement issues. Individual flow balance is also nice to dial in the perfect comfort range.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Adam_Alberti
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    If you want to zone now or in the future a pressure bypass can be added to the Caleffi manifold, better yet a ∆P circulator
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Adam_Alberti
    Great info. Thanks hotrod👍