Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

(Happy Holidays to All) Heat emitters

cnmdesign
cnmdesign Member Posts: 103
Double your emitter size in each room, does that cut your BTU requirement in half and if so does that cut your heating bill in half. Know it doesn't work that way so what is the ratio?
Combat Veteran owned, Final Salute LLC on FaceBook & Twitter.
www.afinalsalute.com

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,375
    The btu requirement is based on heat loss of the structure and has nothing to do with the size of emitters. You could have no emitters, or 5x the size needed, and the heat loss wouldn't change. The comfort level would, but not the amount of btus needed.
    Over-sizing emitters allows a lower SWT to be used and that can make the boiler operate more efficiently (especially with a mod/con), but won't cut it in half. Might gain up to 10% depending on the situation.
    You need to consult the maufactures output charts for the emitter at a given SWT.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    cnmdesignSTEVEusaPA
  • cnmdesign
    cnmdesign Member Posts: 103
    Moving my heat emitters from base-ray CI to 1/2 in Pex Al Pex in ceiling with AL plates under 1/2 in dry wall. Is there a formula somewhere I can use to determine how much pipe I should use and how far apart the runs should be. What is the optimum water temp for this system to shoot for? System will be designed: water temp priority then heat emitter sized to match heat loss run with a TRV with built in thermostat with digital read out. Each room will run back to the mechanical room and attached to Zone with zone valve and ECM pump.
    Combat Veteran owned, Final Salute LLC on FaceBook & Twitter.
    www.afinalsalute.com
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,375
    That would depend upon the heat loss for each room. You need to do a room X room heat loss calc like an ACCA Manual J.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.