Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What steam vent valves should I get?

rarach
rarach Member Posts: 12
edited December 2019 in Strictly Steam
I am thinking about replacing all my vent valves on my steam radiators and am wondering which ones to buy. I was looking at the Gortons, but am still unsure of what number to get. I'll need 7, so they really add up. In total it will around $200, so I want to get it right.

I drew a quick chart of the layout of my system. Currently, there are verivents throughout. However, I believe these may be a contributing factor to some extreme water hammer issues I've been having as of late because they are fast venting. I say contributing factor, because there are some other potential culprits and I'm having a plumber come out to check it out next week. I am using a Dan Holohan article as a reference point when he comes, so hopefully, we figure out what is going on. But I'm pretty sure that I need to swap out these verivents regardless. I'm also going to insulate on my own. These seem like easy diy upgrades for my system. As for the water hammer, it is extremely loud and I think that might be more involved and have to do with backed-up sediment (we had water spit out of a valve and it was brown and full of rusty particles).

I know I can ask the plumber this same question. He was recommended as someone who supposedly knows steam at Carey and Walsh in Westchester, but after hearing all about the "Dead Men" online and how few people understand steam now, I'm nervous I might not get the best advice.

If anyone has vent recommendations or also recommendations for steam experts in Westchester NY, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Comments